PDA

View Full Version : Flying with JAA-PPL russian-registered aircraft

acuba 290
11th Nov 2007, 18:31
please advise,
if friend of mine comes to Gemany or UK with his own russian-registered aircraft RA-XXXXX, may i fly this aircraft inside european(JAA) airspace as PIC if i hold JAA license with all ratings required or not?

13th Nov 2007, 21:06
You may want to talk to Richard Goode Aerobatics. He's imported plenty of russian planes, many of them are kept on russian register. Somehow I doubt all the ppl who fly these planes have russian licenses, which should mean "yes" to your question.

acuba 290
14th Nov 2007, 16:33
well..i am not sure...

Justiciar
14th Nov 2007, 21:58
This depends entirely on the German domestic rules. The UK allows a holder of a UK JAA licence to fly foreign registered aircraft. This applies of course to UK air space and does not mean that it is legal to do so in any other country.

tigerbatics
15th Nov 2007, 09:51
I think you will find there is a particular problem in the UK with Russian registered aeroplanes. Some years ago the CAA discovered from the Russian authorities that RA**** was not an ICAO compliant registration and was a domestic listing only.

This resulted in a mass exit of such registered and British owned machines. Some sold abroad and some put on the UK register.

I think I am remembering this right and the result would be that without specific permission it would be illegal to fly it at all in UK airspace. That includes by the owner.

Permission may be granted to bring the machine to the UK but not certainly. If intending to fly it I would be careful and get a written statemant of permission for what you want to do from the CAA.

Is anyone better informed and more up to date?

15th Nov 2007, 10:15
There are three registers in Russia.

RA - Civil aviation register. ICAO compliant.
RF - State, military, para-military org (ROSTO) register. Not ICAO compliant.
FLA - (russian spelling ФЛА). Kind of general aviation register. Defunct for couple years now, however one may find some planes with these markings even today. Who knows what it was compliant with...

I guess what tigerbatics is referring to is FLA or RF register, but original question was about RA.