PDA

View Full Version : How Far Do You Go With The "Captain"?

Siguarda al fine
10th Nov 2007, 15:04
Im a freight Dog Pilot and I consider myself only to be a "Captain" when I have an aircraft strapped to me and a crew to lead. Hence I know nothing about the world of passenger flying. Do CC address the "Pilot" as "Captain" when out of the aircraft, out of uniform and maybe in a hotel? If so then how do you address the first officer and the flight engineer?

Leito
10th Nov 2007, 15:09
Sadly we say..... -and you?, je je je

VS-LHRCSA
10th Nov 2007, 15:43
In front of a passenger, I would address him or her as Captain "Smith" or whatever. Other than that, it's always been first names really. I've never come across a pilot that has been asked to be called anything but that. I think the fact that at BA, they introduce themselves when boarding the aircraft and making the effort to walk all the way back to Doors 4 to say hello shows that they don't want any "barriers" as such. It may well be different on other airlines, particularly those in the Far East.

Insh Allah
10th Nov 2007, 16:45
Just Coffee black, no sugar and you can call me whatever you want... just don't insult me.. Capt will do nicely thanks :O

K.Whyjelly
10th Nov 2007, 18:18
I find "Sir" is sufficient:p

Back in the real world I use first names with all of the crew and expect the crew to do likewise with me. And I regularly take a stroll back to the L/R4 doors to say hi on boarding and have a bit of banter before I get locked away in my box for 8 or 10 hours:{.

Possible cultural differences in the Far East and Middle East may dictate C/C having to use the term "Captain". I know that first Officers in a large Dubai based airline are known as 'an yoo's' as in "would you like a drink Captain..........? An yoo?" (whilst looking with disdain at the poor F/O):}

Virginia
10th Nov 2007, 21:54
All the way depending on how hot he or she is :ok:

Generally I would address as 'Hey you' or 'Alright love?'

Siguarda al fine
11th Nov 2007, 04:51
Just wondering if a rugby team call their leader "Captain" when addressing him at any time?

BHX86
12th Nov 2007, 10:05
I know in Air India they show the captain a lot of respect and at all times in uniform call him/her captain. I used to work at Birmingham Airport BHX and when the pilots entered the gate room prior to the passengers boarding, the cabin crew would all get up to greet the pilots. The men would shake hands with the male pilots, the ladies would shake hands with the female pilots, if you were of the opposite sex you would say good morning/afternoon and just nod your head.

They have a really conservative method in India. At Air India, even the First Officer is referred to as captain, and on the General Declaration (GD), he/she is listed as F/O Capt. Mickey Mouse. The same rules as above also apply to the F/O.

EZSmile
16th Nov 2007, 19:41
Nothing else than the first name ever occurred to me
I never considered calling the guys up front "Captain" or "Sir"
What about CRM - Crew Resource Management" and being approachable?
I've heard that Air France puts pilots in five star hotels and CC in four star hotels...

As we save on crew cups I once wrote CP and FO their coffee, my colleague gave the Captain the cup which said FO on it, and he joked: I'm not a **** Off!

lovethesky
16th Nov 2007, 20:05
i refer to them as captain or fo, as i cant generaly remember their names, sometimes ill call them nigel if im pissed|!!

if i could remember thier names i certainly wouldnt refer to them as "captain" out of uniform or in the hotel this isnt the 1960s anymore!

TightSlot
16th Nov 2007, 23:31
What about CRM - Crew Resource Management" and being approachable?
I think that you may be misunderstanding what CRM actually means.

BBox
16th Nov 2007, 23:44
I think that you may be misunderstanding what CRM actually means.

'crew raunchy moments'

Whose your.....captain? first officer? cabin crew?

Being on first name terms is always a good start to the day:ok:

ContractFlyGal
18th Nov 2007, 02:28
I call them "sweetie"... but I am older than they are. In front of passengers I call them by their first name. Never call them Captain. They would laugh at me if I called them sir.

Rush2112
23rd Nov 2007, 05:19
I was on an SQ flight a couple of weeks ago (SLF chipping in here, but bear with me), and the pilot came on the PA with the pre-flight welcome address. I swear I am not making this up, but he introduced himself as "Captain KP Tan". Clearly his parents were very foresighted.

boeing boeing.. gone
23rd Nov 2007, 08:21
Completely off track again, so sorry, but i was at a conference and the speaker was called PJ Mystery, I honestly thought it was a joke

oldflyboy
23rd Nov 2007, 08:43
When 'Star Trek' was a major TV show, I used to fly with a Birmingham based 1-11 Captain called Dick Kyrke. a super guy who used to always be able to lift passengers heads from their papers with his " Captain Kirk here" welcome p/a at the start of his flights.

Dick is retired now, a great pilot and a genuine friendly team player; in the old days when all Captains were 'Sir' and many would get very uppity when anyone dared to use their first name, he was always first to offer his hand and a " please call me Dick" when you flew with him.:ok:

Safe Flying

ZKSUJ
28th Nov 2007, 22:35
I was talking to a guy at NZ and its all First name basis down here, in or out of uniform. Even in the PAs, some of air NZ guys say sometrhing along the lines of "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, Joe Bloggs here from the flight deck", bypassing the traditional "this is your captain speaking"

king surf
29th Nov 2007, 07:23
Soggy blonde.
Comments like that proove that you deserve to be nowhere near an aircraft.Wiping crew meals round the toilet bowl beggars belief and could make the flight crew seriously ill.A double crew incapacition!!!.Who would save you then so that you can make more idiotic comments.
In fact i find this comment so unbeleivable that i feel a moderator should step in with a private message to you,that posts like this are unacceptable.:=:=:=:=

Fredairstair
29th Nov 2007, 11:41
SG

Well, for starters they probably know the difference between "there" and "their". Perhaps if you tried harder at school you wouldn't be so bitter.

Fred.

Rainboe
29th Nov 2007, 12:19
Watch out Gulf Air crews! You have one poisonous male western CC working down there that should not be allowed anywhere near a plane!

Platinum206
6th Dec 2007, 14:04
FredAirStair,

your a genius!!

:D
P206

A-3TWENTY
6th Dec 2007, 18:19
they may call me honey...

Hot 'n' High
6th Dec 2007, 18:52
I'm sure "Soggyblonde" (previous page) page is on a wind-up - if not, please have a chat with some of the poor s*ds/s*desses locked in "up front"! However, without doubt, the Medals are definitely deserved at the back – not a job I could cope with - well, at least without a murder charge or two on each flight! All Cabin Crew are saints IMHO! And I’m sure SB is a saint at heart!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, digressing, I flew as SLF with Qantas a few years back. “Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Captain XYZ and I will be your Captain for your flight today. Flying this leg today is F/O ABC, but, of course, I will be on the Flight Deck for the landing on arrival at London so there is nothing to worry about!” The whole cabin-full of SLF were stunned at the cheek of the Captain – the gasp of incredulity was clearly audible across the cabin! Seemingly, the Captain realised his brain had been temporarily disengaged during his initial PA announcement/or he was lumped at some point in the flight by the said F/O! “Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. As you can see, we are now safely on the ground at LHR. I would like to personally congratulate F/O ABC on the perfect flight today culminating in an exemplary landing here in London. On behalf of all the Crew, I would like to blah blah blah….”. I never did see if said Capt was wearing dark glasses to hide a black eye when I disembarked!!!!!!

deplanedeplane
10th Dec 2007, 10:30
Have to agree there about soggyblonde. I am sure she would not do anything to the meals or drinks as even the dumbest blondes know that the boys (and girls these days) up front are there to save our A#se's when the plane is spinning towards the ground out of control.

You have to hand it to these Guys (and Gals) they do a tough job and have to be alert at all times. Think about it... 7 hrs of looking at nothing but horizon!! the mind has to start to wonder.

But murphys law will state that when the plane is spinning out of control the first officer will now ask for his crew meal and ask not to steal the chocolate bar of his tray.:E:E.....Just kidding.:p:p:p:p

I will finish off with a joke/comment I herad the other day....(this joke is because of female pilots)

"Due to company P.C. regulations, the cockpit is no longer allowed to be called the cockpit anymore. It will now be call until further notice....... THE BOX OFFICE":p

terrilee
12th Dec 2007, 13:36
Everyone are on 1st name terms unless to a passenger and then only flight deck get called by their relevent rank! Depends on Airline I suppose, but this is my third and its always been the same. Regards. :)

apaddyinuk
12th Dec 2007, 16:12
Simple answer to this question....

What would you call the cabin crew? Would you refer to them as "Oi CSD", "Excuse me Cabin Crew Member" etc etc? Or would you just use their first names??? Hopefully its the latter, then expect the same from the crew, its a little thing called respect!!! The days of using titles in my opinion are long gone, there is no room for that in this day and age. Crew need to treat each other like buddies.

TightSlot
12th Dec 2007, 16:44
You see, I'm old school... I wouldn't ever use first name to the Captain in front of passengers - any other time, sure.

...Crew need to treat each other like buddies

Again Paddy, usually your posts are spot-on, but this time I'd disagree - I'm not sure you can lead a team on that basis, either as a Captain or as senior crew member. I can accept that this may be a minority view though...

:uhoh: