PDA

View Full Version : DIY (PFA) Engine Overhaul

Potter1
9th Nov 2007, 12:21
I have a Continental C-85 (in a permit aircraft) and would like to learn how to overhaul it. I can follow the overhaul books, but was wondering if anyone knew of any training courses that cover such things.

My PFA inspector and help me some of the time, and will obviously carryout the necessary inspections.

The PFA are considering setting up self maintenance courses in the future, but just wanted to know if there was anything available now.

Thanks,
P…

javelin
9th Nov 2007, 12:43
Your inspector should either be already approved to split the case, or may need to get a one off permission from Engineering.

Get the Continental overhaul manual, it lays out the details of what is needed. Parts can be obtained from places in the front of Trade a Plane such as El Reno or Gibsons or ECI.

You can choose proprietory cylinders or aftermarket cylinders.

I would also check out what Mattituck can supply in New York, they have an excellent tech department and Mahlon Russell is a mine of information and thouroughly nice chap to boot.

Rod1
9th Nov 2007, 16:30
The PFA are setting up a training school, but it is not yet operational. Give them a call and let them know what you want. May help influence the course list.

Rod1