PDA

View Full Version : £123...money well spent?

Esperanza
9th Nov 2007, 11:29
I've just had my reissued JAA CPL through the post. £123 for three little bits of paper and the right to continue to pay the mortgage.
What has surprised me is that the new pages are now printed on both sides. Therefore when I put the initial page in the little plastic folder the relevant information regarding who I am, licence validity, etc isn't visible. So if anyone needs to check my licence (airport security, etc) I will need to pry the bit of paper out...and we all know how the ink sticks to the plastic. What a great idea. It's good to see that the CAA are helping to save the planet by cutting down on the amount of paper that they use.
I've checked with a very nice lady at the CAA to see if mine is a printing error. Apparently it's the way that things are done now. Brilliant. :D

Bravo73
9th Nov 2007, 19:18
You'll have to cut the sheets down the centre. Each smaller piece gets it's own 'sleeve'. :ok:

A Very Civil Pilot
9th Nov 2007, 19:43
Perhaps your £123 goes to pay the wages of the lady who answers the phone to help with you paper folding problems....? :ok:

Esperanza
9th Nov 2007, 20:45
Bravo73
I had already thought of cutting the first sheet down the centre. It just seems a bit of an odd thing to need to do. I've never had to cut up an official document/ licence before. It's no big deal...it just seems a bit odd to me.

Bravo73
9th Nov 2007, 21:22
It is indeed very odd. But just think of all those trees saved... :}

BristolScout
21st Nov 2007, 11:06
Just a bit of history as to why the bits of paper cost so much. Back in the 1980s there was an august body known as the Standing Advisory Committee for Professional Pilot Licensing, sponsored by CAA but consisting of the great and the good from the aviation industry. This committee scrutinised any proposed changes in licensing policy and made recommendations. A proposal came from the industry side that it would be fairer to load the charges on licence holders who, presumably, were earning money from their qualifications, in order to lessen the charges levied on those working towards their licences who were, by definition, skint. This was adopted as policy by the Authority and, as far as I'm aware, pertains to this day.

Jinkster
24th Nov 2007, 09:26
Last time I was ramped checked was down in Pescara, Italy with the airline, and the person from the aviation authority (not CAA or the Italy eq.) couldn't speak a word of the queens!!!

I wouldn't cut it either, I'd speak to the CAA again or a quick email and ask.

Kit d'Rection KG
24th Nov 2007, 16:12
Esperanza,

Why doesn't your employer pay for the re-issue? :uhoh:

Mine does! :ok: