PDA

View Full Version : online R/T quiz

fulham fan
9th Nov 2007, 09:52
Hi

something for Friday afternoon - a new:cool: interactive R/T quiz at www.airspacesafety.com

Scottishflyer182
9th Nov 2007, 21:59
Hi,
Just tried the quiz.

Good fun.

6 out of 7 so no perfect but acceptable.

Cheers

Whirlygig
9th Nov 2007, 22:17
I also got one wrong (wonder if it was the same one? I gotthe SAFETYCOM one wrong!). However, I can tell you, that those questions are harder than those asked at ATPL VFR Comms exam!

Cheers

Whirls

TheOddOne
9th Nov 2007, 22:25
6 out of 7 so no perfect but acceptable

Ditto!

got the mid-channel question wrong.

Pleased to see that the actual quiz correctly uses the acronym 'RTF' for Radio Telephony instead of the incorrect 'R/T' as above and on the airspacesafety website.

Mind you, it's a bit off in my view using the letter 'F' for the 'ph' of phony, a bit like Reading Writing and Arithmetic being referred to as the 3 'Rs'.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

BackPacker
9th Nov 2007, 22:29
Got the mid-channel one wrong as well. Apparently there is no difference between "report" and "report position", while I thought there was.

Plus, it reinforces the point we were making in another thread about a week and a half ago, before it was closed by the moderators. G-EMMA will know which one.

(Keeping it a bit vague here so I don't spoil the fun for others.)

jaycee58
10th Nov 2007, 00:40
Not exactly a "rocket science" quiz is it? I did ok (1 wrong...the mid-channel one) despite being an 11 hour student with no RTF training for aviation purposes. I think I may need something a bit more difficult before taking the real exam!

As I've discovered, knowing the answers and doing it for real are totally different things. I use a radio at work and have an amateur radio licence but, despite this, I still go totally cr@p when in a plane. Good example:- calling downwind last week when I was actually on final :uhoh:. I suppose I'll get the hang of it in the end!

BackPacker
10th Nov 2007, 09:06
Jaycee, G-EMMA, I had no radio experience at all before my flight training started, so I bought a second hand aviation band scanner (cost me about 40 euros) and spent hours and hours listening to the R/T at my local airfield (which happens to be Schiphol). Helped me a lot in adjusting to the speed and phraseology, understanding what's been said, listening out unconciously for your own callsign etc. As a result, I've never had mike fright or anything.

Oh, and you should hear some of the mistakes the professional, big boys make. All the time. Readbacks are really there for a reason!

EvilKitty
10th Nov 2007, 11:22
I don't get mike fright but as yet I've not got the capacity to talk any sense whilst trying to fly and navigate at the same time

More than once have I had the call all sorted out in my head, but once I start to make it my mind goes blank..

Me (to ATC): "G-XXXX C172 from cranfield to yyy 2 POB err blah blah blah.."
Me (To Instructor): "You do it"

:uhoh:

looptheloop
10th Nov 2007, 12:15
Its a well known fact that the press to transmit switch is wired to your brain- as you press the button the connection to your brain is disturbed and you cannot make any sense whatsoever.
There's a great website to have on in the background so that you subconsciously pick up RT skills- or make yourself feel better by listening to professionals say 'blah blah blah' too. Its www.liveatc.net (http://www.liveatc.net), you can listen to ATC from all around the world.

Contacttower
10th Nov 2007, 13:02
I got 6/7 (thought 3 miles constituted long final :ugh: :=).

mike172
10th Nov 2007, 18:15
7/7, damn right! Pretty straight forward really. Can any one tell me if this quiz is the same difficulty as the PLL R/T exam?