PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Helgoland?

contrail
7th Nov 2007, 16:50
Hi Folks,
Anyone been to Helgoland with any top tips?
I understand its purely German on the RT.... Anyone got an easy English to German Aviation phraseology handy dandy?
Hotel recommendation etc?
Thanks in advance.

Asrian
7th Nov 2007, 22:02
Go to this website (http://www.flughafen-helgoland.de/edxh-flugplatzinformationen-allgemein.html) and scroll all down to the link for the english website.
They have some requirements a pilot must met.
I'm not a pilot (yet), just info from friends that its a STOL airfield with often heavy winds and quickly changing weather.
You may want to join a german pilots board for more info.

contrail
8th Nov 2007, 14:08
Asrian, Thank you.

petes1s
8th Nov 2007, 16:22
Anyone been to Helgoland with any top tips?
No, but I've been to Legoland
Top tip - don't go unless it's raining hard - the queues are much shorter

bookworm
8th Nov 2007, 17:16
Looks cosy (http://www.eddh.de/info/landeinfo-ergebnisb.php?ueicao=EDXH).

courchevel
9th Nov 2007, 16:55
Been there I think 2 years ago. Since then they have extended the longest of the three runways by a couple of metres. It's fun to fly there.
You can fly to/from Helgoland from/to any German airport, but also to/from some Danish airports, eg Tonder (see AIP).
Before final approach you can ask for a tour around the island, which I think is worth it. Just never fly over the island itself. As for communication, English should be fine. You may want to speak slowly and be ready to repeat your transmissions.
Walking around the main island (the airfield is on a separate island which is connected to the main island by a ferry service) you will find information tables with some details about the island. What I learned there is that until today the explosion that took place in 1947 (triggered by the British) is considered the biggest non-nuclear explosion ever. It definitely reshaped the island significantly.

Pilot DAR
9th Nov 2007, 21:08
Flew past Helgoland, but did not land, in mid September. There is a commercial service flown in two BN Islanders from Bremerhaven, Germany. Expect very windy, and typically changeable weather conditions expected near the ocean. Runway is relatively short. In four consecuvtive days of flying, we rarely had more than 500 foot ceiling.

Bremerhaven is a wonderful small city, and the airport is very accomodating, and convenient to the city center. Great Marine museum, and shopping, and several good hotels.

There are other islands in that direction too, though not as far. PM me if you need detailed information on Bremerhaven.

Cheers, Pilot DAR

Flash0710
9th Nov 2007, 22:44
im gagging to go to legoland.....

luv

x
x
x
f

contrail
10th Dec 2007, 20:55
Made it to Helgoland and all German & Dutch Fresian Island strips. If anyone needs any Info on Flying In/ Hotels etc PM me.

BackPacker
11th Dec 2007, 12:22
No, but I've been to Legoland
Top tip - don't go unless it's raining hard - the queues are much shorter

At Legoland (at least the original one, in Denmark), they close the rides one hour before the park closes. From that moment on you can enter the park for free, see all the Lego stuff that they built. That takes you about an hour, putting you amongst those last to leave the park.

To get back on topic - There's an airfield just opposite Legoland - EKBI. Not that far from Helgoland either.

dublinpilot
11th Dec 2007, 12:46
Ermm....pics???