PDA

View Full Version : 777 Altitude Alert

aa777phil
7th Nov 2007, 16:36
Do any 777's have an aural alert as the aircraft approaches a selected altitude?
It was my understanding that if the aircraft was being flown by hand an aural alert along with the flashing box on the PFD would alert at about 900' prior. If the aircraft was on autopilot then only the flashing box would show. At AA we do not have the aural alert. Thanks

MrBernoulli
7th Nov 2007, 23:34
At British Airways we have:

Approaching MCP Selected Altitude
At 900 feet prior to reaching the selected altitude a highlighted white box is displayed around the selected altitude and the current altitude on the PFD. The highlights are no longer displayed when within 200 feet of the selected altitude.

Departing MCP Selected Altitude
When departing the selected altitude by 200 feet, the EICAS alert message ALTITUDE ALERT is displayed, and a highlighted amber box is displayed around the current altitude. The message and amber highlight is no longer displayed when:
• subsequently reapproaching to within 200 feet of the selected altitude, or
• a new MCP altitude is selected, or
• departing more than 900 feet from the selected altitude.

MCP Selected Altitude Alert Inhibits
MCP selected altitude alerts are inhibited when:
• glideslope captured, or
• landing flaps selected and landing gear down and locked.But there is also a Caution Beeper when the aircraft has deviated from MCP selected altitude.

So no, BA does not have an aural alert for approaching a selected altitude - only for deviating (unintentionally) from one.

SuperRanger
8th Nov 2007, 02:22
i believe it's an option you can activate. ours until recently, also didnt have the c-chord alert.

more info: our 'approaching-alt' alert annunciates at 800' to MCP alt.

MrBernoulli
8th Nov 2007, 21:34
Yeah, I guess as its mostly software in these 'boxes', one can tweak them to do pretty much anything ....... at a price.:E

Ballistic Amah
11th Nov 2007, 03:03
Interesting the differences with different companies. The 777's I fly have the altitude alert for approaching and deviating regardless of the autopilot status.

The Airbus on the other hand only sounds the C-chord if the autopilot is off. Not sure right off about the deviation scenario on that. Tried too hard to forget Busisms!:}