PDA

View Full Version : JAR Instrument Rating added after PPL with Class 2 medical ?

sternone
6th Nov 2007, 17:41
After i get my PPL i always planned to get my Instrument rating.. BUT, since there is almost no PPL doing a IR in europe all schools ask me to have a medical class 1 ??

I have absolutely no plans to be a commercial pilot in my life and my eyes are to bad without glasses to be a class 1 medical, i have a med 2 (my vision with glases are 10/10 ofcorse)

Do i really need to go to the USA for my IR ?? But that means i only can fly N-registred planes in IR in europe ?

Or do i need to do surgery on my eyes so i don't need glasses anymore ?? To obtain a class 1 ? pfff

Fuji Abound
6th Nov 2007, 18:09
I assume you dont have an old CAA class 2 medical which gives you automatic grandfather rights?

sternone
6th Nov 2007, 18:12
I got it in 2006 :{:{:{

IO540
6th Nov 2007, 18:20
You can do a JAA PPL/IR on the CAA Class 2 medical but you also need the JAA Class 1 audiogram.

This catches out a lot of people especially slightly older types. Each ear is tested at four frequencies.

The only way around this is to invoke the JAA Demonstrated Ability option but that one is available on renewals only. I have the references.

The FAA IR or ATPL doesn't have this stupid requirement.

S-Works
6th Nov 2007, 18:20
You DO NOT need a Class 1 medical for a PPL/IR. You have to do the Class 1 Audiogram which is then appended to your Class 2 Medical. The audiogram can be done by your normal AME if they have the facility.

sternone
6th Nov 2007, 18:25
I have tested my ears completely, i have a very good test result, they tested it with liquid injection, turning around in a chair and counting upwards, also a very heavy sound earing check, my ears are fine, if it's true, then these schools will drop their req for med 1 i hope

thanks for the info, some good news here

in fact, who needs a good vision in IFR conditions hehe :8