PDA

View Full Version : Ramp Rash -Solutions?

ShotOne
19th Dec 2001, 14:54
Our aircraft seem to take a beating from vehicles on the ramp -loading ramps, steps and catering trucks are the main offenders. This costs the airlines a fortune.

Two things I think would help. Fisrt, how about making airside drivers more accountable for the mayhem they cause. Better training and conditions of service would help -coupled with much more stiff penalties for screwing up.

Second, why are the parts of these vehicles which contact aircraft so solidly made? On all the above vehicles even the guard rails are made of square section steel. Perfect for punching through alloy. How about constructing them of something more yielding so that a 10,000 dollar truck is damaged rather than a 100 million dollar aircraft.

echomikeecho
19th Dec 2001, 22:58
Sounds good to me, but I only operate the aircraft! Well attempt to. Part of it comes down to the cheepest contractor. Pay peanuts you get... . If they are paid more then the contract costs more and they consequently don't get the contract. I see where this is leading..... back to the airfield managers and the accountants with the individual airlines. I agree with your comments but how do we start down this road?