PDA

View Full Version : Pre-prep to doing a FI Rating?

BlueRobin
6th Nov 2007, 01:20
Is there any advice for someone in the run-up to doing a FI rating?

I have the course manual and the provider has sent a reading list along with about 250 theoretical questions, of which will take me more than a week to complete (aaaah losing the will to live!) Is this in itself a constructive thing to do or should I be prioritising anything else?

I have to say, I am now dreading this far more than I was for my IR. :E

TurboJ
6th Nov 2007, 07:50
Read the course manual.

Brush up on the PPL flight exercises.

Go over theory for the PPL.

Relax and enjoy it. Its much better than the IR. Everyone knows you can fly; the aim of the course is to try and teach you how to teach someone else to fly.

Callsign Kilo
6th Nov 2007, 12:57
JAR FCL for the PPL course is a good start.

expedite08
6th Nov 2007, 13:22
By ' manual ' are you referring to the Campbell flight instructors manual, blue book, very thick!!

Cheers

BlueRobin
6th Nov 2007, 14:10
Errr more like the book from Wellesbourne :)

Mark 1
6th Nov 2007, 14:54
Hi BR,

I'd relax and enjoy the course. John and Alan's manual is a lot more digestable than the Campbell book anyway. I presume that you've done the pre-course assessment already, and your CPL flight training is a good refresher of the PPL syllabus anyway.

The course is a mixture of re-honing your own skills, learning the teaching techniques and getting comfortable in the RH seat.

In short, you're probably about as prepared as you can be and the rest is what the course is there to teach you. And the guys there have (AFAIK) an unblemished success rate (even with me).