PDA

View Full Version : jumpseat in uniform + security

Squawk7777
5th Nov 2007, 14:43
Hiya all!

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so I decided to give a try here. Here's the story:

A couple of weeks ago, I jumpseated on UAL out of AMS. I work for a US 121 regional airline, and had my full uniform on etc. Security @ AMS told me that I had to check my luggage, since it contained liquids (I usually take a few things back to the US). The TSA rules in the US state that a flight crew member in uniform with a valid badge is exempt from this rule. Question is: Who's rule does the security in AMS comply with? US TSA or NL CAA (not sure what the equivalent is called). When I fly out of Mexico the security authority there complies with the TSA rules (so I've been told).

So if you are not an active (working) crew member, can you be exempt from the liquid etc. rule in the EU?

Rainboe
5th Nov 2007, 15:16
What have TSA rules got to do with security in Europe? The coverage and authority of TSA ends at the US border. If the Mexicans are happy to submit themselves to TSA authority, fine for them, but no way does TSA have any control or influence in Europe.
Nobody is beyond the liquid rules. Maybe the Queen and Prince Phillip don't have to put their liquids in little clear bags and take their royal shoes off to go through security, but that's about it. Rather than grumble about European security, it's the TSA we should be querying. Having the Captain of a 747 in front of passengers with shoes off, belt off, trousers undone, shirt undone and tie and jacket off? Breaking into crew suitcases?

Squawk7777
5th Nov 2007, 15:34
What have TSA rules got to do with security in Europe?
If you look carefully @ AMS you realize that there's additional security for US airlines.
While I am not defending the TSA with their stupid regulations and incompetent screeners, I am surprised that crewmembers in AMS cannot take their liquids on board. You rant about the TSA (rightly so!) but Europe doesn't seem to be better off. Before you put words in my mouth about grumbling about EU security, I am from Europe and disgusted about EU and US security wannabe feel-important look-at-me people in uniform. Many times I challanged those individuals to discover that they don't know their own rules.
Nobody is beyond the liquid rules. Read my post before you reply.
I guess that's what you get for politly asking... :yuk:

IRISHPILOT
5th Nov 2007, 15:43
A perfectly valid question.

It is true that the TSA regulations do not apply in Europe.

It is also correct that UK security will not allow you through with liquids, that is true for the UK though and not necessarily for the rest of Europe. I always take my drink through in the Czech Republic, major airports in Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, Italy and Belgium. Not sure about other places though.

How would they know if you are operating or dead heading? So they don't usually ask. - All that's needed is a crew ID, whether you wear a uniform to perform your duties or not is not their concern. I have operated many times in my private clothes and no one ever queried this.

If you ask a friendly cashier in duty free for a plastic bag, more often than not she will give you one of those resealable "security" ones intended to seal your duty free shopping and Bob's your uncle. They do not have to account for them and they float around all over Geneva airport for example.