PDA

View Full Version : Records of Light Aircraft Accidents?

Marcel Le Frog
5th Nov 2007, 10:55
Hi, I'm trying to track down some details of a light aircraft crash that killed an uncle of mine. Trouble is, my knowledge so far is a bit sketchy! I think it was in the early 1970s and would have been in the Home Counties / South East of England. I've tried google etc, but can't pin anything down. CAA / AAIB records don't seem to be searchable that far back.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very gratefull.

TIA

airborne_artist
6th Nov 2007, 09:04
First off find his death certificate - that will get you the date (obviously) and probably the location of his fatal accident.

You can apply for a death certificate here (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/deaths/obtainingdeathcertificates/index.asp)

With the date you can then ask the AAIB to copy (for a fee?) their report, and you can also find the coroner's report by using the location from the AAIB report.

bookworm
6th Nov 2007, 10:50
I've always found AAIB very helpful for such things, and when I've made such enquiries have not charged a fee.

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/about_us/index.cfm

Drop them an email with as much detail as you have and they may be able to help.

ericferret
6th Nov 2007, 11:07
I got an accident report from the early '80s recently from the AAIB at no charge.
I have always found them very helpful.

You will need at least a date.

airborne_artist
6th Nov 2007, 11:26
My guess is that AAIB need at least one of: date, aircraft type or accurate location. The OP does not appear to have any hard data, so he needs the death date from the certificate.

There will almost certainly be local (or national) newspaper reports of the crash and perhaps the coroner's hearing, which you can get to once you have date and location. Main libraries normally have micro-fiched copies of their local papers, catalogued by date.

Marcel Le Frog
13th Nov 2007, 12:09
Just a quick note to thank all who took the time to respond.

Regards
M-l-F