PDA

View Full Version : Hirth 2705 on a challenger 2

wings on stornoway
4th Nov 2007, 22:51
Hi everyone,:)
Is there anybody out there that has or as flown a challenger2 with the hirth 2705 engine as i cant find any info on the hirth engine 2705 maybe you can help! trying to find the hp and the cc:ugh:
regards w.o.s.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
5th Nov 2007, 11:01
Most Challengers have the 2706. The nearest I found on the 2705 was at http://hometown.aol.co.uk/__121b_CYQ7Mng9wdu99aUe9l51UWQlNANodmk1U8vQUsjoXYun3hpy3npQu A==

Different aeroplane but same donk.

wings on stornoway
5th Nov 2007, 14:03
hi thanks for the info but i need to find out about the 2705 as this is in the aircraft!! i need to know the comperssion test on the cyls, for this type of engine and what are the parts like to get hold of and if there is anybody who deals with the hirth engine in england! as nearly all the challengers i have seen has the rotax 503! or the 582!
cheers W.O.S.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
5th Nov 2007, 23:13
Have a word with David Lawrence (01903 8922000) at http://www.ridgewayair.co.uk/

wings on stornoway
6th Nov 2007, 08:56
Hi
thanks for the number i will give this chap a ring!:)
is there anybody who owns a challenger in scotland!!
W.O.S.

wings on stornoway
7th Nov 2007, 16:56
:sad: I have tried david as above by email but he said that he does not deal with Hirth anymore as he has run out of patience with them and he cant help me with the spares,or suppliers!!or any info???
well if there is anybody that uses the hirth engine 2705 let me know where you go for the spares! manual?
Perhaps this is why you always see challengers with the rotax 503 or 582 there must be a owner of the 2705 hirth somewhere in this box.
who makes the engine? what is the CC. or HP? cyl comp,????
W.O.S.

The Flying Pram
7th Nov 2007, 17:22
Web site: http://www.hirth-engines.de/english/index.htm
The 2705 isn't listed, so must be an old model.

wings on stornoway
7th Nov 2007, 17:47
:) thanks for the info i have sent them an email and i will see if they can help i have asked them about the 2705 and asked if possible to get the manual for this engine and to see if there is anybody over here who deals with this engine if i remember right i had an email from bautrich saying there was nobody here dealing with the hirth in england ! i believe that the engine was placed in the aircraft back in 1998 so its not that old!!
W.O.S. thanks flying pram

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
7th Nov 2007, 18:22
Engine Specifications

Hirth 2705 R05

Type 2 Cylinder In-line Two Stroke
Cooling Forced air-Integral Cooling Fan
Cylinder Capacity 625 cc
Stroke 69mm
Bore 76mm
Compression Ratio 9.3:1
Carburettors Twin Bing
Power 47kW (65HP) @ 6200 rpm
Lubrication Unleaded Petrol/Oil 50:1
Ignition Twin Electronic / Flywheel Magneto (2 plugs per cylinder)
Starter Recoil ( inside cockpit)
Fuel Pump Pulse Pump with electric back-up
Reduction Unit 3.16:1 Gearbox.
Propeller 3 blade Composite Arplas Eco-prop 68” dia

The source was,

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/__121b_CYQ7Mng9wdu99aUe9l51UWQlNANodmk1U8vQUsjoXYun3hpy3npQu A==

wings on stornoway
7th Nov 2007, 19:28
:ok: Thanks GOLF BRAVO ZULU
i have printed this this is off best news i have had all day !!!!!:D

all i want now is to find someone to teach me to fly it!! I am a new member of the SAC but i dont think there is anybody who flys a challenger2 all offers are welcome i am just upgrading from a TST MK1 Thruster!! where are all the challenger pilots in scotland!!
W.O.S.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
7th Nov 2007, 20:47
G-CCFD owned at AB22 8SQ
G-MVZK owned at G32 9TD
G-MYAG owned at AB53 6TZ
G-MYOZ owned at AB42 3LL
G-MYTT owned at AB21 7BY
G-MYYF owned at AB42 3ED

All via http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1

Good hunting.

wings on stornoway
7th Nov 2007, 21:13
:ok: CHEERS G B Z ! YOU ARE A DIAMOND!
W.O.S.

wings on stornoway
8th Nov 2007, 14:57
Hi everybody, (SOME INFO)
just got confirmation from hirth! that the hirth engine 2705 is not in production anymore and the only place you can get spares is from HIRTH
so if you have a 2705 then you have a problem if you have no cat number ! (NO ENGLISH SUPPLIERS)
this is why every time i have seen a challenger2 its had a 503 or a 582 rotax!
good luck to all hirth owners!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
10th Mar 2008, 19:41
wings on stornoway. Did you get yourself airborne with the 2705?

wings on stornoway
23rd Dec 2008, 23:32
Hi,
i have purchased a challenger 2 with the 582 rotax engine problem solved hirth??:ok:

jonkil
24th Dec 2008, 07:07
Don't know about the 2705,
Flew an X-Air here in Ireland with a 2706 and it was the most problematic thing ever.
Overheating/blowing plugs etc. A real pain of a thing. The owner had a warranty with it via Germany and sent it back and they supplied a new version... Think it is 3203 model. It has been fitted and now seems OK, about 40 hours on it. It is fuel injected, produces a lot of power for it's weight, it is a good bit lighter than the 582 and fuel economy is about 12 LPH. No radiators either as it is air cooled. Time will tell, it will be hard to beat the Rotax offerings, they are tried and tested....... however a void in the market will develop for this type of engine as Rotax will be stopping all the 2 stroke series soon, they have already discontinued the 447 and 503 series.... about time a descent 4 stroke option was available..HKS/Verner/BMW/Mid-west are crap and don't offer any benefit.....I liked this little unit HERE (http://tinyurl.com/9jhcta) but alas it went the same route as many others.:ugh:

Regards,
Jon

wings on stornoway
24th Dec 2008, 09:01
Hi John,
thanks for the info on the hirth,i have recently got hold of a challenger with the 582 rotax which i have posted in another thread i am a student pilot and i am trying to get hold of an instructor to teach me to fly the aircraft up here in scotland! i know there is pilots on the isle of lewis but nobody with the microlight rating for this aircraft there are people here with ppl and nppl who could fly the plane problem is i cant log the hours as there is nobody here to tech me that holds the instructors cert for this aircraft so i cant log the hours :=
at present i am waiting on delivery and then the nice chaps coming to give me the O.K. for the permit so if anybody knows who can help any info will be appreciated!

regards gary

jonkil
24th Dec 2008, 20:53
Garry,
Check the BMAA website for your nearest flying school.
The Challenger can be "challenging" to say the least but not a bad little aeroplane. You definitely did the right thing buying the 582 engined one.
Enjoy the fun, will be up your neck of the woods on a flying trip next year.

Regards,
Jon

wings on stornoway
25th Dec 2008, 10:42
hi john,
there is nobody on this island that flies a challenger i am on the isle of lewis and so far the nearest club for this type of aircraft is scone so i have been told ! this is a two day trip for me this is why i am trying to find out if there is any instructors near by! i have tried to get on the BMMA site but to no avail as yet well it is christmas!no doubt everbody is on holiday!
just for reference i am hoping to get a runway done on my own place for next year probbly get it into the farm strip landings book! i will be posting this at a later date!
At present i am trying to get off the ground :rolleyes:
all the best for xmas and new year to all the readers!!
regards gary