PDA

View Full Version : seneca II

A330 Dreamer
4th Nov 2007, 21:46
Not sure if this is the correct forum to put this thread in but I wondered why most major FTO's use the Seneca II for multi I.R's?

is it purely a cost based decision that the seneca 1, 3, 4 and 5 arent used or do instructors have a preference to fly the 2?

flybymike
4th Nov 2007, 23:07
My guess is that the 1 is horrendous and the three four and five unnecessarily expensive.
Many FTO's use the Beech Duchess and GA7 cougar also

A330 Dreamer
5th Nov 2007, 18:41
comparing the duchess and seneca II, from an instructors point of view which aircraft would you say is a better platform to do your I.R in?

or both on par with each other?

octavian
5th Nov 2007, 19:46
The Seneca I has two engines so that in the event of one failing the other can get you to the scene of the accident.

The II is of a financially advantageous weight (2MT) It also performs rather well.

The others are much heavier. (Over 2MT) Not so good financially.

hugh flung_dung
6th Nov 2007, 10:52
That's a slightly harsh judgement on the poor old Seneca 1; it's a great aircraft for MEP training exactly because it's difficult to fly well. The Duchess is particularly easy to fly so it would (and did) get my vote for IR training, it's just a shame that the engines aren't injected.

HFD

BristolScout
15th Nov 2007, 15:09
And then, of course, there was the Apache!!!!!

portsharbourflyer
16th Nov 2007, 09:36
The dutchess is almost too easy to fly as a twin trainer, doesn't prepare you for the larger twins. Personally found the switch from Dutchess to seneca 1 a real struggle.