PDA

View Full Version : Christmas presents

JOE-FBS
3rd Nov 2007, 17:36
Having recently taken my first lesson towards NPPL, I am planning to ask for relevant presents at Christmas. A set of text boks and cash donations to the flying fund are my starting points but what ideas do the old and bold out there have, pleaese?

Apologies if this has been done before, I did a search on Christmas and could not see such a thread.

Thanks

BackPacker
4th Nov 2007, 00:58
Well, at some point in time you're going to need the obvious gear but it doesn't always make nice Christmas presents... protractor, ruler, flight computer, headset, VFR flight guide, maps, kneeboard, fuel tester. Very boring, practical stuff and the person giving you the present, in about half of the cases, won't even know what it's used for.

So far, I've had two things that were truly presents. A decent flight bag (lots of pockets, including two that can hold a headset) and a good aviation life jacket (that's the manual inflation type - the one that does NOT inflate automatically in contact with water).

A little less required, but nevertheless useful stuff: Flyer magazine sells these "Driving is for those who can't fly" t-shirts. Or a high-viz jacket, with or without a funny text on it. A good pair of aviator sunglasses. Subscriptions to magazines. Maybe a pilot watch. An introduction lesson on a type you don't normally fly (taildragger!) or a type of mission you don't normally do (unusual attitudes/aerobatics). Or some sort of "free landing+lunch voucher" from someone who wants to fly with you once you've got the license? A maritime survival (aka. "dunker") course.

As for useless but funny stuff, I got myself one of those "I'm a pilote (crossed out) I'm a pailot (crossed out) I fly planes" mugs. The same place also sells coasters, clock and other stuff in an aviation theme. Pins, tie clips with the aircraft type you do fly? "Remove before flight" keycords. Books with aviation cartoons. Plenty of that stuff in typical pilot shops.

high-hopes
4th Nov 2007, 01:26
A Garmin 496 will do, thank you very much :)

IO540
4th Nov 2007, 06:06
Agrees; the biggest moving map GPS you can get.

Now I am going to duck while 50 people jump on me saying one should now use the 3-letter word until after one has got the PPL, and another 50 saying it is the work of the devil :)

Zulu Alpha
4th Nov 2007, 06:52
Two things you will use after you get your PPL are a GPS and a headset. Get a good one of each. Oh..... another thing is one of those rulers with nm and a protractor for course on it.... I think that makes three things!!!...Oh! and a map, which makes it 4 things.
If I had to choose 1 item it would be a good headset. It will protect your hearing, it will ensure that you hear the instructor clearly and will last many years after your PPL if you treat it well.
Most of the other stuff you can do without. Special bags, special watches, computers etc. are not really needed, you can buy a regular bag and watch etc. You can often buy the books secondhand and maybe even borrow them (try a wanted ad on the club noticeboard).
I do think that there is a tendancy to think you need more stuff than you really do....and of course the club won't mind selling you things you won't need.

Redbird72
4th Nov 2007, 09:56
I'm hinting for contributions towards a headset :E , and I think a flight "computer" might be a candidate for contributions too (i.e. necessary for the course, made of plastic, but with a weight to price ratio akin to sterling silver :confused:).

BroomstickPilot
4th Nov 2007, 12:09
Hi JOE-FBS,

If you want a suggestion for a nice, useful but inexpensive gift, I suggest the Pierre Cardin flight bag @ £19.99 from Argos.

It's just as good as almost identical bags from the pilot shops costing £30+.

Best kept open secret in GA!

Broomstick.

Applecore
4th Nov 2007, 19:31
I am doing my gift list too.

What headset should I suggest wifie buys? Bose X?

Pitts2112
4th Nov 2007, 19:52
Jeez, you guys are boring. What you want to get is the important stuff. You need to ask for your first set of epauletts!!

:)

Pitts2112

stiknruda
4th Nov 2007, 20:29
I do believe that Pitts means epaulettes?

What you really want for Chrimbo is a brand new aeroplane (or two)!

BackPacker
5th Nov 2007, 08:48
What headset should I suggest wifie buys? Bose X?

Can't go wrong with a Bose-X if your significant other pays for it. Same for a Garmin 496. However, equally expensive presents are usually expected in return! :=

dublinpilot
5th Nov 2007, 10:14
On the more modest end of the scale, how about a database update for your GPS? Lots of people flying about with out of date databases.

If perhaps an annual subscription to PocketFMS if that's what you use. Or perhaps an annual sub to one of the weather sites or planning sites such as AvBrief or Skybook?

dp