PDA

View Full Version : About Headsets

SEV
3rd Nov 2007, 17:16
Hi Folks:
I have a H 20-10XL David Clark headset with noise attenuation, and i,m flying two medium twin-turboprop engine in Europe. One of them is a Beechcraft 1900 C/D and is ok, but the other is ATR 72. The ATR has only one input to connect the headset in the socket, so i need an adapter to transform the two plugs of my headset in only one plug.
Somebody could recommend me one adapter??? I,m quiet worry about that.
I,m look forward to somebody answer me.
Thanks a lot.

towser
3rd Nov 2007, 18:02
Its a standard adapter available from most headset suppliers.

zerograv
3rd Nov 2007, 18:10
Just taking a wild guess as i know nothing about ATR, but I would suspect that the plug in the ATR could be the same as in the Airbus.

If that's the case the plug will be a "XLR 5" (5 pins) and you will need the kind of adapter comonly used in Airbus aircraft (unless one has one of those fancy Senheiser headsets that comes already with a XLR 5 plug).

Below are links that show the thing I'm talking about: (hope that I won't get my head kicked because of publicity issues)
http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/airbus.htm
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/3333
http://www.skygeek.com/airbus-adapters.html

The thing is bloody expensive. Try to search further and see if you can find a better price. If you have some knowledge of basic electrics I would sugest doing one yourself. I bought the material and made one myself for about 10 dollars.

Cheers,
Zero

SEV
3rd Nov 2007, 18:13
Thanks towser!
I called to sportys (an american pilots shop) and they told me that I have to say the model or the type exactly, but i donīt know whatīs the name.
Somebody could tell me the model exactly or a link of any website???
Thanks a lot.

SEV
3rd Nov 2007, 18:20
Hi rerograv!
Thanks for reply me, I donīt Know knowledge about basic electric but i have a cousi who is an electric engineer so he would helps me.What kind of matrial do you buy? for 10 US dollard its really cheap.
Thanks

Agaricus bisporus
3rd Nov 2007, 19:42
Best plan is to ask an engineer to look up the data/spec of the socket on the ATR, or e-mail ATR/hairbrush, they must have a tech query facility.

Single sockets are invariably (in my experience) NATO standard, and are more usually found in civvy helos rather than fix wing. Be aware though that there are 2 NATO single plug standards, European and US (Hey, great for commonality, that). It may or may not help that the US NATO plug, ie, the male piece on the end of the headset lead (again, in my experience) is always silver, while the Eu NATO is always brass/bronze. They are not compatible!

Just to complicate matters, there are different wiring protocols too - specifically whether or not Earths are combined or separated in the Tx/Rx sides of the circuit. Get it wrong and the headset won't work.

Suggest you repost this in Tech Log.

You'd be a sharp amateur electrician to make up an adaptor yourself, but it could be done if you were happy you had all the wiring specs and protocols to hand. You'll be the poorer by $$$ if you mis-identify the adaptor and buy the wrong one - but maybe the supplier will agree to refund/replace on return if not correct.

Good luck!