PDA

View Full Version : Canada to JAA

4144r
3rd Nov 2007, 10:58
Hi All,
Any information about converting Canadian ATP to JAA ATP with shortcut?
I heard about end of december 2007 to do it?
Rumour or not?
Thanks for any information
Soft Landings:)

faireydelta
3rd Nov 2007, 18:11
If there's a shortcut I'd like to hear about it..what do you mean?

Canadapilot
3rd Nov 2007, 18:15
Once you have X number of hours (i think Multi Crew hours is the important one) you can convert to JAA just sitting a couple of written exams. Before that stage, it's the whole 14 exams and possible the CPL and IR test! And it's a bitch! Sorry to be vague, but if you look through the LASORS (the Uk CARS) you'll find exact details

faireydelta
4th Nov 2007, 01:08
Do you mean sitting for the UK-restricted National ATPL? That's not a full JAA licence, it gives you the right to fly G-registered A/C only. You can get it with 2 exams and a skills test. But not to be confused with the JAA ATPL, for which there are no shortcuts...but it would be nice if you proved me wrong.
Anyway, this "shortcut" is only available til Dec 2007? More info would be appreciated.

MuddyBoots
4th Nov 2007, 08:08
If the 2 exam 'short cut' does end December 2007, you've probably waited too long to ask the question.

You will need to submit your logbooks and licenses for CAA scrutiny to get approval to write. You usually have to book about two weeks in advance to write the exams on your desired date. If you do get this done ASAP, you should be aware they only write in the first week of each month (unless it has changed recently). Therefore you may only have three weeks to submit logbooks, pay and book exam, study for exam.

The 'short cut' is for G-Reg aircraft only, and you will not be able to get any training or check authority on this license (ie TRI/TRE etc). This license is not necessarily recognized by other JAA states, so beware.

The long and short. If you can still do it (It doesn't end at the end of December), good luck, but it has limitations. Otherwise do what all the Europeans have to do. Pay, study and write 14 exams. Its a pain, its expensive, and there are unfortunately no shortcuts.

Good Luck

Muddy

nolimitholdem
5th Nov 2007, 18:39
Actually there is a shortcut...I believe if you have more than 3000 PIC on a/c over 55 tons you only write two exams.

MuddyBoots
5th Nov 2007, 20:46
NoLimit

You are correct, but as mentioned above it has limitations on its use.

Regards

Muddy