PDA

View Full Version : GLEIM for Canada? FAA->TCA CPL conversion

cegeland
1st Nov 2007, 19:38
Hi!
I'm getting ready to take the conversion exams needed to convert my FAA CPL/ME/IR into a canadian CPL/MIFR. I found an online ground school from Gleim covering the conversion from TC -> FAA but not the other way around. Is there a "Canadian GLEIM" out there?

I find the study guide on the TCA website a bit diffuse since it pretty much lists all the air law subjects covered in the "normal" canadian CPL written. I believe the conversion exam is only supposed to cover the differences between US/Canada. I'm therefore wondering if there's anyone out there who's completed the 2 required written exams who can recommend any books/material to read?

I've read the entire TC AIM and I'm currently working my way through every CAR - which should be sufficient - but I would really appreciate if someone can confirm that reading the AIM only is sufficient to pass the exams.

Thanks!

Bavarian
12th Nov 2007, 07:19
Unfortunately I cannot offer any better advice. I find myself in the same situation, however I take comfort in the fact that the test is no more than 20 questions long. I friend of mine took it and missed the first time around, but was successful on the second trial. I suppose when it comes to preparing for that exam the best thing to do is what you did: study the old fashioned way by reading all available relevant data.

settogathrust
13th Nov 2007, 00:11
I'm going to buy the aerocourse atpl workbook for $65. It looks like this may give some guidance

apachepilot1
20th Nov 2007, 15:40
Hey...wonder if you took the exam yet....I took the FAA to TC CPL conversion exam in February and I passed on the first shot. Of the 20 questions there were 3 on crew rest periods, a couple of oxygen questions, the regular airspace questions(know the dimensions and terminology(i.e. Mandatory Frequency), and a couple of calculation questions that you need to use your scrap paper for. I'm sure that they mix the tests up, so your experience could be different, but I just wanted to give a heads up since there's not a lot of good resources on the internet about this conversion test. It requires a 60% to pass, so you have a little room to mess up if you really don't know the answer to a few of the questions. It was a fairly quick process and the testing was on computer, just like Lasergrade.
I have to go back to Toronto and take the instrument conversion exam because they goofed up and told me that since I was doing my commercial, I didn't need both tests. They called me back 2 weeks later and said that they were wrong. I expect to take the exam within a few weeks...if anyone has any experience on this exam, I wouldn't mind a heads up myself. I'll post my experience with the exam after I take it....No answers, though! Just the subject areas.

cegeland
21st Nov 2007, 05:08
Hi!
I did both of these exams a couple of weeks ago - pretty much a walk in the park if you've read through the AIM. I can't remember all of the subjects the instrument exam covered but here's a few:

- Alternate minimums
- Use of french language on the radio
- Instrument rating categories
- Approach ban (RVR 1200 thing)
- Fuel requirements
- Converting RVR to equivalent visibility in statute miles
- VFR-OTT procedures
- Airspace (which rules apply when class C twr is closed etc)
- Clean aircraft concept
- Definition of critical surfaces
- Instrument currency
- Procedures for operating in altimeter/standard pressure regions
- Communications in uncontrolled airspace when operating IFR (broadcast freqs etc)

Hope this helps out a bit since there's no official study guide for this exam. I would also recommend reading the AOPA/COPA guide to border crossing between US/Canada. It sums up all the major differences in a couple of pages - saves A LOT of reading. It can be downloaded as a pdf file by searching for it on google.

Oh, by the way - the instrument one has a 70% requirement to pass

SuperflyTNT
18th Dec 2009, 20:07
Hello,

This thread is almost dead but yet, I need some help for the doubts I have. I plan on giving my FAA to TC CPL conversion next month. Apart from letting me know where I can find myself a TC AIM on the internet, if that is possible, could anyone of you out there tell me if I need to take a separate exam for a multi rating?

I have a FAA Commercial Multi Engine Instrument License. I plan on converting it to a TC Commercial Multi Engine License. I do NOT want an IR for my TC license. So I just want to know if I need to be writing an extra exam or not?! Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks

TNT

newty74
1st May 2011, 23:40
what are the cost of these exams?

Bob Probert
14th May 2011, 14:08
Not sure about the cost. It's somewhere on TC's site though. I sent in my application a couple of months ago and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I'm ready to go live it up in YYZ for a few days :cool:

offcg
30th May 2011, 10:37
hey guys just wondering if it is the same policy to convert ones FAA ATP to TCA ATP, does any have any inputs on that.