PDA

View Full Version : Plane Categories and Restrictions on Ops

Xoxon
1st Nov 2007, 14:09
I'm just getting to the Nav part of my PPL training (PA28) and starting to think about how I'm going to afford to do all the amazing things that I'll be able to do once I'm qualified. I'd like to tour around, visit exotic and interesting places, have overnight adventures, attend flyins, learn to navigate competently, handle a plane in non ideal conditions and maybe do some aeros.

Having lurked here for a few months, I thought it time to de-virginise my posting status. My questions are:

What are the restrictions involved in flying a permit aircraft?

How is the spectrum of machines (microlights-permit-GA) categorised and what are the limitations moving up the scale?

How and when will this sensible sounding Euro version of LSA effect things? Will these planes be allowed to tour Europe from the UK? Can current permit planes?

Why are permit planes so much less expensive to buy and operate than a registered GA plane?

There seems to be a bipe shown on the PFA web site - are there aero competitions for this category of plane?

Should I assume that all else equal, permit operation is less safe then more expensive alternatives?

Thank you very much in advance for any thoughts and help!
I'll be really interested to hear any practical ideas about maintaining a JAA PPL while being able to afford to get some serious air time.

Rod1
1st Nov 2007, 16:15
“What are the restrictions involved in flying a permit aircraft?”

In practice the following;
Day VFR only

In theory you are restricted to UK, but a reciprocal agreement exists with most of Europe to wave this. You are also not allowed to fly over built up arrears unless landing or taking off. This rule is being reviewed, and in practice is not a problem.

“How is the spectrum of machines (microlights-permit-GA) categorised and what are the limitations moving up the scale?”

The limitations are similar to above in all cases. The categorization is by weight and stall speed. Micros are up to 450kg, “group a” is 450kg up to 2000kg?

“How and when will this sensible sounding Euro version of LSA effect things? Will these planes be allowed to tour Europe from the UK? Can current permit planes?”

You can tour Europe in all the above (in practice), the ELSA will allow lower cost factory built aircraft, but an existing VLA (450kg to 750kg) is more capable than an American LSA. (speed restricted to 120kn no CS prop or disappearing Dunlops)

“Why are permit planes so much less expensive to buy and operate than a registered GA plane?”

At the bottom end you can get a single seat VP1 (but don’t) for £3000 ish, at the top end you can spend £100,000 on an RV10 4 seat with all the toys. The cost of ownership is less because you can maintain it yourself under the PFA system. My old C of A machine was over £4000 more a year to run on maintenance alone compared to my VLA.

“There seems to be a bipe shown on the PFA web site - are there aero competitions for this category of plane?”

Aerobatic competitions are based on proficiency, so any aerobatic machine can compete at beginners. Most aerobatic aircraft are permit types, with Pitts the most popular.

“Should I assume that all else equal, permit operation is less safe then more expensive alternatives?”

No! In the eyes of the CAA an aircraft is safe or it is not. My machine is worth about £50,000, and I would consider it much less likely to fail than a club spam can, or my old AA5 which was worth $45,000.

Good luck,
Rod1

Billredshoes
3rd Nov 2007, 12:34
The limitations are similar to above in all cases. The categorization is by weight and stall speed. Micros are up to 450kg, “group a” is 450kg up to 2000kg?

Group A Jar PPL SEP is 5,700kq not 2000kg other wise i could not fly the AN2 !!! :)