PDA

View Full Version : MANDALA B732 skids off runway in Malang, Indonesia

Palyvestre
1st Nov 2007, 12:02
Link in french
http://www.crash-aerien.com/forum/sortie-de-piste-dun-avion-de-mandala-airlines-vt5278.html

Anyone ?? More info ?? Pictures ??

fox niner
1st Nov 2007, 12:41
Here we go again.....:{

PK-KAR, our Pprune Reporter in Indonesia, is gathering info as we speak.

ZFT
1st Nov 2007, 12:54
Maybe we'll hear from Warwick!!

CJP-MK
1st Nov 2007, 13:00
1) Set up company marketing commercial arrestor wire system.
2) Advertise in Indonesia.
3) ...
4) Profit!

Pugilistic Animus
1st Nov 2007, 13:59
to post #4 ---I'd love to be an EMAS dealer in that region right now!

"We help with all your high energy over run needs"

Longtimer
1st Nov 2007, 14:36
Plane skids off wet runway in Indonesia, forcing emergency evacuation
The Associated PressPublished: November 1, 2007
MALANG, Indonesia: A jetliner carrying 97 passengers and crew skidded off a rain-soaked runway at an airport on Indonesia's Java island Thursday, forcing an emergency evacuation in which five people received minor injuries, officials said.
The Boeing 737-200's front axle snapped during the landing in a downpour at Malang airport. The Mandala Airlines aircraft skidded and overshot the runway by 80 meters (260 feet), air force spokesman Capt. Wahyudi said.
Five people suffered scrapes and bruises while exiting the plane, said Wahyudi, who like many Indonesians goes by one name.
Officials at Mandala Airlines said the cause of the accident was being investigated.
A series of airline accidents in Indonesia killed more than 100 people early this year, prompting the European Union to blacklist all its airlines. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration also downgraded the nation's rating to its lowest category.

Doors to Automatic
2nd Nov 2007, 17:59
They should calculate landing distances in Indonesia based on flap 5 and 220kts Vref and assume a touchdown point somewhere in the first two-thirds of the runway. Then build runways to that required length and install a 2000ft EMAS at both ends for good measure!! :ok:

PK-KAR
2nd Nov 2007, 21:19
LOL... Info? Pics? that's it, you asked for it!

Me gathering info? Sorry, I'm sick all week... But anyways...

1. Aircraft involved was PK-RIL
2. Aircraft was doing the VOR 35 approach, a call to one of the crew on the flight mentioned it was "very turbulent and windy" on the approach.
3. Nose gear didn't lock. It is unclear at the moment whether the green light was on or not. It is currently suspected that nose gear green light was on but crew unaware it was not locked hence did not divert to nearby Surabaya (landing in Malang with known problems is a definite No-No in Mandala and Sriwijaya (the 2 airlines that fly there). Mandala has grounded its 732s due to this "anomaly."
4. Aircraft did not leave the paved surface despite the earlier reports.
5. Pax panic caused the injuries, still trying to get details on it... I heard reports of pax being pushed off the rear exit by other pax, only for them to freeze when they saw it's a bit high! *bangs head on table!*

Airport:
Malang - Abdulrachman Saleh Military Airbase.
Runway was recently lengthened to 1980m, elevation 2700ft, inbetween 3 mountains.
It's not a nice place to go into in the monsoon afternoons!

Here's what's on the newspaper... http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/smoke1984/RI-MLG.jpg

PK-KAR

ChristiaanJ
2nd Nov 2007, 22:02
PK-KAR,

I take my hat off to your reporting. Thanks!

The newspaper graphic implies the NLG didn't lower, but that's probably just a red herring. If it wasn't locked down, it would have collapsed in the same way.