PDA

View Full Version : Flight instructors. How long did it take from completing FIC to your first FI job??

ramshorn
1st Nov 2007, 11:51
Hello
I am finally taking the plunge down the FI route and hope to start a course in January. Could those of you who have recently acquired jobs as FI's give me an idea of how long you went between finishing your FI course and starting work as an instructor so I can get your views on the market at the moment. I've heard that its pretty buoyant at the moment?
While I'm asking if you could give me an idea of salary offered.This would also be very helpful.
Thanks alot:ok:

Pieman007
1st Nov 2007, 16:29
Took 1 week. Thats part time too which is more difficult. You wont have a problem. Currently £20 ph. If you look around you may even get a job before you finish the course.

QNH 1013
1st Nov 2007, 17:32
I don't know where you are doing the course, but you may not even have to look around - flying schools often ring the FIC providers to ask if they have students nearing the end of the course.
Instructors are certainly in short supply at present. I agree with pieman, don't settle for less than £20 per hour.

FlyingGasMain
1st Nov 2007, 22:18
I finished my course this summer and went on the books of the outfit I did the course with. 1 month later I'd had no work so I followed up a tip from someone to apply to another airfield / school and almost had my hand bitten off. Thoroughly enjoying it now and on £20/hr. Good luck with it.

ramshorn
1st Nov 2007, 22:27
Thanks for the replys. Anymore advice and experiences of other FI's gratefully received.
I want to start preparing for the course now. I did my PPL in USA so only have FAA textbooks. Which books do you recommend I purchase to start reading?
Cheers:ok:

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Nov 2007, 22:55
Lots of places are desperate.

You'll find work within a week if you are flexible on location.

Good luck,

Andi
2nd Nov 2007, 07:01
To be honest.

had job offer before I bagan with FIC.:hmm:

You should be fine finding a job quickly.
greets Andi

miket_68
2nd Nov 2007, 10:13
Hi all,
Not wanting to hijack a thread here,
But is this true of Rotary FI's or is this limited to FW ?
Looking to ake an FI course early 09 and start teaching just as the weather supposidly turns better.
Cheers
Mike

adverse-bump
3rd Nov 2007, 14:16
took me about 5 min!

with a 17k salary...shop about before taking a pay as you fly job, there are real jobs out there!

TheOddOne
3rd Nov 2007, 21:03
Passed the test on 8 Aug '07 and first revenue flight on 11 Sep '07. Had a bit of a (flying) holiday in between and slight delay waiting for contract paperwork etc. £25 per flying hour, no 'attendance money'. £10 ph for ferry flts.

Cheers,

TheOddOne

Anonymus6
3rd Nov 2007, 21:51
At the momet we are facing a FI shortage in US, Australia and Europe. So to answer your question,,,, you will find a job very easy. Good luck

ramshorn
4th Nov 2007, 16:23
Thanks everyone for your replys so far.
I have been speaking to a FTO who have expressed an interest in employing me when I have completed my FIC. We haven't spoken pay at this stage so its good to know your experiences.

Cheers;)

timzsta
4th Nov 2007, 19:47
Three and a half weeks for CAA to issue rating. About 24 hours to get the job. That was 18 months ago.

VNA Lotus
4th Nov 2007, 23:07
Hey Guys!

I have read all your comments...

I hesitate to do the FI course but paying 8000 euros to share our passion, well...that's life.

My question : I read, it is easy to find a job as FI, there is shortage etc etc.

So, does it mean that instructors stop flying or they go to heavy plane for example ?? if it is the second case I guess the FI route is a good think...

Really, where all of them go ??

In my opinion when I read your comments there are two possibilities :

1) FI are apprecited by companies so a lot of them find another job (ATR,737, Beech etc)

2) In fact a very few people want to be FI... so in this case we cannot say that FI route is good thing or not.

What d'you think ?

AlphaMale
4th Nov 2007, 23:28
I hesitate to do the FI course but paying 8000 euros to share our passion, well...that's life.

You pay 8,000 euros for an FI, you should land a job pretty quick that will get you the 8,000 euros you paid into it - false economy you may think. But if you work as an FI for 2 years that 8,000 euros won't look that expensive.

Add to that the hours you'll be building. You could either get paid £15k to build 500hrs per year or you could Buy your 500hrs for £50k and just burn them away?

So, does it mean that instructors stop flying or they go to heavy plane for example ?? if it is the second case I guess the FI route is a good think...

Both, If I was getting paid £10k pa as an FI then my funds would soon run out, I'd be forced to go back into IT just to pay my mortgage. On the other hand I hear a fair few FI's get picked up by airlines leaving places to fill.

1) FI are apprecited by companies so a lot of them find another job (ATR,737, Beech etc)

Sometimes.

2) In fact a very few people want to be FI... so in this case we cannot say that FI route is good thing or not.

Choice is yours, you could earn more as a bus driver?

heli-mad
6th Nov 2007, 20:05
This goes for the heli chaps, from personal experience to find a job as a FI is not so difficult. Everything indicates that there is a shortage. There is an element of luck ie be in the right place at the right moment but generally speaking it will not be a big problem to find something. The rates are a bit better than FX. 40-45 p.h depending on the school.

I past my test Monday, drove down to Gatwick Tus 6:00 got the licence on the same day and on the way back home got an interview...few days later i had a job offered full time.That was 5 months ago, already doing some charters for the company as well as instruction. Cost for FI(H) is around 12k and it is either a step before you progress into better/bigger things or a job for life with a dissent salary in the end....:p

H-M