PDA

View Full Version : licence restrictions

vortexracer
1st Nov 2007, 01:24
I have just found out that the best I can now hope for is a safety pilot restriction on my class 2 med cert. Is this worthwhile as surely I can't get other ratings as I can never fly solo? Anybody have any experience with this?

Shunter
1st Nov 2007, 07:09
Depends on your circumstances really. I do most of my flying with my girlfriend, so if I suddenly got such a restriction she'd be on the first plane to Florida for a fast-track PPL completion!

Have you considered the NPPL? The med requirements are much less stringent. There's no medical, simply the thumbs-up from your GP. There's a gent who lives near me who was in the RAF for years, superb pilot, but didn't have a chance in hell of getting a medical. He's now quite happily trundling round the sky on his lonesome whenever the sun's out.

If you got both of them (syllabus is pretty much the same) you'd have the option of night/imc flying with a suitably qualified companion, and unrestricted day flying.

172driver
1st Nov 2007, 07:42
Depending on why you have this restriction, you could also look into a FAA license. The requirements for the FAA 3rd class medical aren't very stringent and this will give you unlimited (though not 100% sure about the night VFR here) privileges in a G-reg.

vortexracer
1st Nov 2007, 09:16
Thanks for the information and constructive comments. I certainly want to be responsible and if the caa think it is unsafe then fair enough, I am not looking to dodge the system. I hope maybe to get back a class 2 with a safety pilot restriction some day. With that restriction can you still get other extensions such as night and imc?

S-Works
1st Nov 2007, 09:30
It is not a case of dodging the system. The system is aimed at young and healthy wannabee airline heroes not at the average jo public.

The CAA recognized this and in conjunction with AOPA, PFA etc produced a national rating that was more suited. The medical requirements are HGV standard and if you can pass these then the CAA deem you fit to fly.

If I were given the choice off only being able to fly with a safety pilot on an ICAO medical or solo on an NPPL I know what I would do!!

With a safety pilot limit you can do no further training so the NPPL which is a Day VFR license would be an ideal choice for you. If your condition improves you can revert back to your ICAO license.

Rod1
1st Nov 2007, 09:50
The NPPL stuff is;

http://www.nppl.uk.com/

The new European PPL is likely to have similar medical requirements to the NPPL, but this is not yet finalised.

Rod1

vortexracer
1st Nov 2007, 10:01
Thanks for your information Bose-x, I talked with my aviation doctor and he thinks that the NPPL is the way to go now as my condition is unlikely to change (reversible ischaemia). I'll just miss flying with my wife P1+P2 :(

S-Works
1st Nov 2007, 10:10
If you go NPPL then you will be able to fly with your wife most likely.

DFC
1st Nov 2007, 12:14
Having an OSL on a Class 2 Medical Certificate does not prevent you from;

Obtaining further ratings or

Carrying Passengers.

The limitation is that you must fly with a safety pilot who is qualified act as pilot in command of the aircraft should it be required. Thus you could have a PPL Multi Engine Rating with an IR and be flying at night across France with your wife in the back.

The restriction simply requires that the aircraft has dual controls and that the safet pilot in the other crew seat is qualified (and willing) to fly in the situation you are flying in i.e. in the case above they also need a valid PPL Multi IR.

If you find that you can not get even the JAA Class 2 with OSL then you may be able to get the Medical Declaration appropriate to professional driving for the NPPL.

In that case, you can either;

Get an NPPL SSEA rating and limit yourself and your Wifeto UK flying or

Get an NPPL with a Microlight Rating and fly anywhere you and your Wife want to.

If you are unfortunate enough to end up with only the Private Driving Standard NPPL medical then you are probably better going for the NPPL SSEA so that you can hire a C172 or PA28 and with a safety pilot take your wife up in the back.

The FAA licence is also an option.

You can then fly VFR day and night with just the basic FAA PPL.

Of course you can not fly IFR (regardless of conditions or time of day) on an FAA licence unless you have an IR. But if you can get the PPL then you most likely will have no problem getting the IR.

The final option which many former pilots do is find a friendly fellow pilot who is happy to be P1 from the right seat while you "manipulate the controls". You can not claim any of the time as P1 but you can keep a record of the flights (in a log book perhaps) ;) if you want and thus you get everything you desire except the legal P1 time in your logbook.

I have a friend with Diabetes and we have done that for years. No real difference in flying terms since when he held a PPL.

Regards,

DFC

vortexracer
1st Nov 2007, 14:19
Thanks all for you great advise. I have an appointment with the consultant on Monday to go through the thallium scan results. I suspect not good news but hey I'll have to cross that bridge then.

effortless
1st Nov 2007, 14:23
I've had this restriction for ten years now. It is a bugger, I haven't got round to doing the NPPL thing yet as I still fly abroad. I tried to pursuade the CAA that two rerstricted ppls should be able to safety pilot each other, I mean what's the chance of us both having an emergency?:}