PDA

View Full Version : TfL train/tram costs

Touchin' Down
31st Oct 2007, 13:34
Hi there,
A little bit of an unusual request I know, but can anyone give me any info on concessions available, if any, for crew living in London who use Tramlink and Southern trains to get to Gatwick?
I'm told that there may have been a flyer up one of the BA crewrooms but I've not seen anything with my company. Moving to Beckenham and deciding on the quickest/most cost effective way of getting to work. I do drive but I'm thinking the train may be faster (reliability is another story!).

Cheers
TD

ELondonPax
1st Nov 2007, 13:01
Travel every day? Or infrequently?
Return same day or not?
Off peak or peak?

Touchin' Down
1st Nov 2007, 13:17
Hi ELondon Pax,
Winter months 6-8 times/mth
Summer 11-15 mth.
So fairly infrequent I suppose.
Return same day and both peak and off-peak depending on the roster.
I have looked on the TfL website, but had just heard that there may be deals for crew who work at LGW.
Cheers
TD

ELondonPax
1st Nov 2007, 14:09
One learns something new every day.

Despite having sad anorak tendencies on trains, I was about to say "no such scheme". But a google has uncovered the BAA Traincard discount scheme which offers up to a 34% discount on all train fares across
the "South Central" and "Thameslink" networks.

The train companies are now called Southern and FirstCapitalConnect (stupid name) - so that link is quite old.
Not sure if the scheme still runs - but suggest you ask at Gatwick rail station if they know of the traincard scheme

Touchin' Down
1st Nov 2007, 14:16
Sweet, your internet search skills are a lot better then mine!!

That sounds promising, will give it a go!

Thanks.

Eric T Cartman
1st Nov 2007, 15:28
Touchin' Down
Suggest you ask at the enquiry office, not the ticket windows - the office is just beyond the windows, tucked away in the corner. I used it after a visit to SRG & the guy was really helpful - saved a lot of £ on tickets back to central London.

SilentHandover
2nd Nov 2007, 08:52
Hi

I did the journey from Beckenham to LGW quite regularly up until last year, I think that the discount tickets only apply to season tickets, but I stand to be corrected.
Never had any issues with reliability of the trains at all, there are so many trains from East Croydon one or two being delayed is not really a problem. Journey time if you happened to time it just right was about 40 minutes total, but be aware of the rarity of Beckenham Junction trams late evenings and at weekends, they are only every 30 mins after 19:30 during the week which can be annoying.

Hotel Mode
6th Nov 2007, 09:41
Try this BAA site for the current discounts

http://www.gatwickcommuter.co.uk/

Touchin' Down
6th Nov 2007, 13:07
SilentHandover - perfect, thanks for that. Just the information I'm interested in!!

Hotel Mode - That page had the link I was after - cheers!