PDA

View Full Version : Airline pilots, when was the last time you flew a light a/c?

Superpilot
30th Oct 2007, 14:33
Just interested to find out how many airline pilots maintain their relationship with GA and/or still fly a SEP aircraft.

Please state how long you've been flying for airlines and when the last time was that you flew a single engine aircraft.

If it's been a while, please state why this is. E.g. lack of time, safety concerns etc....
Thanks

redsnail
30th Oct 2007, 14:53
Not an "airline pilot" but a corporate pilot if that's ok.

Since 2002.
Reason? Can't fly a small piston aeroplane on my licence as it's a converted ATPL from Oz. Apparently, I need to do some stuff to be allowed to fly a bugsmasher again.

To be honest, after flying them for many years in Oz I don't really miss it. Also, with the type of job I have, I am still doing a fair bit of handflying and visual approaches. :ok:

fernytickles
30th Oct 2007, 15:22
Flew airlines for work, had a Cub for fun. Now fly corporate for work, still have a taildragger for fun :ok:

joehunt
30th Oct 2007, 15:52
Sorry to be off thread but...

I have thought for a long time that a good airshow, show stopper, would be this. Let loose, say a B747 pilot for eg., (who has never been near a light aircraft for at least 20 years) in a Cessna 150 or Piper club, even better. I am sure in a lot of cases the result would be highly entertaining.:}

TopBunk
30th Oct 2007, 16:11
joehunt

I think that you are totally wrong in all aspects bar one. I think if you took a 747-400 captain and put him in a Cessna/Piper/whatever, the only slight problem area would be in the first 2 or 3 landings.

I haven't flown a SEP for about 5 years, last time I did the landing was the only 'interesting' bit - being so near the ground before flaring - that would come quickly back. The rest was very easy - after 12,000+ hours, the rate at which things happen at 80-90 kts leaves you with so much spare time... Flying to +/-2 kts, +/- 20ft and +/- 2degrees is not an issue at all, even if you've not flown the type before.

joehunt
30th Oct 2007, 16:14
I stand corrected!

There are exceptions and it seems, exceptional pilots.

TopBunk
30th Oct 2007, 16:52
Joe

I do not profess to be exceptional, at all.

What I do profess to be, however, is a commercial pilot with many years and many thousands of hours of piloting aircraft. That very fact instills a skill set that is transferable to light aircraft viz. an instrument scan that is generally speaking much more refined and honed than a GA pilot. It is that that enables us to transfer back to SEP piloting with relative ease.

For sure, as I said, the cockpit view is different and it is that which makes the landings something to become re-acclimatised to.

Some of the tricks of the VFR pilot may be rusty, such as VFR navigation, but then again I suspect many PPL's aren't very good at that, preferring to rely on GPS:rolleyes:.

When it comes to airmanship, I contend that profesional pilots, however long away from light aircraft, will hold their own very well, and (other than the first couple of landings) not provide much spectator amusement.

Now, please tell us ..... what EXACTLY are YOUR qualifications?

JW411
30th Oct 2007, 16:53
I renewed my SEP a couple of years ago having been away from little aeroplanes for 22 years. I did a few hours dual before the test but it all went well.

Like TopBunk, I couldn't believe how slow and leisurely everything was.

FLCH
30th Oct 2007, 17:09
After 32 years away from flying gliders, I recently took up sailplane lessons again. I did so crap that my instructor joked that if this my standard of flying would he be able to fly a 757 ??. The second time up I relaxed and it was a much better effort.

beamer
30th Oct 2007, 17:34
Renewed my 'privilages' last year after a ten year break. No major problems apart from the Instructor/Examiner who seemed to adopt the 'I'll show these damned airline pilots they are not so clever' type of attitude. Signed up after an hours 'refresher' and fifty minutes 'test' after which I walked away never to return. I'm sure there are some really friendly clubs out there but I guess I did not choose too wisely !

nb Does nobody in GA just use a chinagraph, a map and a pair of eyes for navigation any more ?

joehunt
30th Oct 2007, 18:38
Yes certainly. Without "blowing my cover" I will divulge the following.

JAA (UK) ATPL, qualified on several heavies including B747, converted from a foreign licence 32 years ago. I have considerably more hours than your 12000 +, so you are not quiet ready for the"topbunk" yet in my view.

Still learning, never was and never will be an "ace".

So don't take my speculation too seriously, otherwise people may think you are a tad insure. I do know one or two B747 jocks I have worked with, who i am sure would put on a good display at an airshow and provide ample entertainment, hence my initial post. So loosen up.

TopBunk
30th Oct 2007, 18:51
:mad:

otherwise people may think you are a tad insure.
At least try to speak English:ugh::hmm:

What do you mean.

Why has you profile got you you as on land?

How do you know that 12000+ is not 40,000 or 50,000 et?:rolleyes:

:mad:

joehunt
30th Oct 2007, 19:08
I am doing my best with the English but it is not my mother tongue. (thank God for spell checkers, or you would have a field day I guess) Please dont get nasty and call me names.

Land you ask? I fly for a major corporation but only once per week on a full salary, so as I spend most of my time on the ground these days and not flying my a**e off I thought land location should cover it but seems I have screwed up there too.

Now let me ask you a question, please. How many languages do you speak??

Jetdriver
30th Oct 2007, 19:15
Enough !

This is a questions forum for professional pilots, or to ask questions that professional pilots are best equipped to answer. I did rather think this thread was fairly pointless from onset, but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. If you want to ask who flies light aircraft in their spare time,then try a thread on "Private flying". This one has degenerated into the realms of the totally pointless for this forum.