PDA

View Full Version : PPL training - medical - when?

Humaround
29th Oct 2007, 21:39
A friend of mine is starting PPL training and has been told he needs to get a medical before he gets to first solo stage (as well as passing his Air Law).

In was a bit surprised as I thought you didn't need the Class 2 until nearly the end of training (or even after?)

I do seem to recall having to get a certificate from my GP, similar to the HGV 2 declaration which is required for the NPPL, so maybe that's what is being asked for.

Can anybody confirm?

Thanks

Contacttower
29th Oct 2007, 21:44
Most people get the class 2 medical at the start of the training or at least before going solo if they want the full JAA PPL (rather than the NPPL). You can go solo with just the NPPL medical requirements, but since you're going to the doctor anyway you might as well get it done in the first place rather than waiting till the end of your training.

FullyFlapped
29th Oct 2007, 22:52
Well, unless it's changed (and it has been a few years now but I don't think so), for a JAR PPL you need to have passed Air Law and a Class 2 medical (at least) before you solo.

FF :ok:

Redbird72
29th Oct 2007, 23:02
I was under the impression that you had to have a valid medical to fly solo (but a very rapid trawl through my book hasn't turned anything up). I took mine before training, because I suffer from a couple of conditions that I feared might be an issue (migraine & asthma). I didn't want to shell out for tens of lessons only to be told I couldn't fly!

My school told me that it is no longer required to have your air law to solo, but it is strongly recommended by the authorities. Therefore, they want me to do it first (not that I'm there yet!).

HTH

BackPacker
29th Oct 2007, 23:30
You've got to get the medical in any case, sooner or later. If the medical turns up something which can't be helped, it's a shame if you've already invested a couple thousand grand. So get the medical first thing, possibly even before considering the whole PPL idea.

tangovictor
30th Oct 2007, 01:17
it makes so much sense getting your medical first, I spent a whole load on helicopter lessons, had a medical, and the CAA didn't care for some medication I take, wasted so much cash and time,
Strange thing is, I got my nppl, and my machine flys almost double the speed of a R22, carries same 1 pax, I can't quite understand the logic,

homeguard
30th Oct 2007, 07:55
You cannot fly an aircraft solo EVER without holding a CAA APPROVED medical. This may be a medical certificate issued in accordance with the JAR's for which a medical undertaken by an approved AME is required or alternatively a 'self declaration of health' countersigned by your GP which is the minimum requirement for the NPPL.
What some of you appear to be saying is first go the self declaration route signed by your GP which is cheapest and later for the licence issue should it be for EASA/JAA then have the AME medical. You should remember that effectively, in the end, this way, you will be paying for two medicals. Most GPs charge for signing your form and may require you to have a full medical with him/her anyway. OK, it is true, you don't have to declare for which licence your training until preparing for your QXC and later the final test.
I mention the QXC for this reason. For the EASA/JAA licence your instructor may send you on your Qualifying Cross Country (QXC) whenever your considered ready. You must for this hold a EASA/JAA medical. For the NPPL before you undertake the QXC you must first pass a Navigation Test (NST). With the NST passed you then only require a valid medical self declaration. Should you be sent on your QXC holding only a 'self declaration, but having not passed a formal NST with an approved examiner, you may be illegal. Additionally should you have followed the NPPL route for the QXC but elect later to go for the EASA/JAA licence you must do a second navigation test, part of the EASA/JAA testing requirement - your earlier NPPL navigation NST will not count. However this is my personal opinion and I await the alternative arguements, if there are any.

PompeyPaul
30th Oct 2007, 08:53
couple thousand grandAre you learning to fly the space shuttle ?

Good advice here. The medical should be one of the first things you do, just in case it turns up something that means you can't hold the license you are training for.

IO540
30th Oct 2007, 11:09
For would-be airline pilots, there is an argument to get the Class 1 medical at the outset.

It's hugely expensive, c. £600 IIRC, but once you have it then you are "in the system" and all subsequent Class 1 medicals are done to the lower "renewal" standards and also there is a "demonstrated ability" option for a lot of stuff.

BackPacker
30th Oct 2007, 11:39
Bloody hell
couple thousand grand
Are you learning to fly the space shuttle ?

Hey, some of us learn to fly in 45 hours, some need a little bit more...:}

Seriously, thanks for the reminder not to post to PPRuNe late at night, when tired and under influence.:=

walkabout
30th Oct 2007, 16:36
Initial Class 1 prices were lowered not too long ago, I paid £302 in Jan 06.

W

DFC
30th Oct 2007, 17:01
I recomend that you obtain the highest standard of medical you plan to need before starting any training. The main reason being as others have said it avoids you being in the situation of having paid a lot of money only to find that you will not meet the medical requirements.

Also since there are very few things that totally ground you these days, if you have a known problem you can adjust your training plans to suit.

Doing the NPPL declaration to save costs earlier on costs more later because as has been said you end up paying for two medicals. Unless you are getting on in years the Class 2 medical lasts for a long time.

If you plan to fly professionally and be paid for it then you will need a Class 1. Get the class 1 at the start. If your training is extended then simply use the Class 2 privileges after the first year until you need the class 1 bits again.

As for the air law. The CAA quite rightly requires that a student has adequate skill and knowledge before being sent solo. Unfortunately some people think that passing the PPL Air Law written exam meets that requirement which it most certainly does not.

One can score 100% in all of the Air Law exams from PPL to ATPL level and still not have the knowledge required to fly a circuit safely at a specific aerodrome.

Regards,

DFC

DFC
30th Oct 2007, 17:30
Forgot to say that is rather ironic that if a 3 Axis microlight pilot wants to obtain a SSEA rating on their licence they have to complete more stall/spin awareness training than a person who simply completes the NPPL SSEA from scratch!

Joined up thinking?....I think not.

Regards,

DFC