PDA

View Full Version : Ground-Air Bright Lights - Need to notify CAA?

ground_star
26th Oct 2007, 19:44
Quick oddball query for a Friday night

A local fair has just moved in & is shining one heck of a bright light straight up into the heavens above the town. It can be seen for a good 7 miles on the ground & gawd knows how far in the air.

I thought that this kind of thing needed if not permission, then for a notification to be made to the CAA...I could be wrong...So that's why I'm posting this most wierd of queries...comments welcome...

call100
30th Oct 2007, 20:19
This depends on where it is in relation to the flight path. They should have sought permission from the airport authority. You can phone either the ATC at the airport or the Airport duty manager to check if they know about it.
I would presume that no aircraft have complained if it has gone on for more than the one night. Therefore, I would assume that it is not causing a problem and permission may indeed have been given.
These things are covered by the Air Navigation Order and so the Police can be involved if the Airport has any problems with the Fair.

old,not bold
30th Oct 2007, 20:41
There used to be something called the Cloud Searchlight..it projected a very powerful beam vertically and you measured the angle to the point where it lit up the cloud base; simple trigonometry gave you the height. Once every hour at night as a part of the met obs. Still in use in the late 1980's.

No-one ever reported that to the CAA.

Spitoon
30th Oct 2007, 22:34
Take a look at CAP736 (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1108).