PDA

View Full Version : Loss of control...

Kit d'Rection KG
26th Oct 2007, 18:01
The 'when students turn green' thread made me remember a stude who didn't turn green, but did lose control of his clacker valve in an unintentional (and unrealised) UP (he was looking at the map whilst maneuvering over a TP on a navex, and when he looked up we were neatly about 140 deg into a sort of descending 1G barrel roll thingy).

The same stude later became well known for the unusual contents of his flight bag, and then quite a successful pilot.

A quick RTB with the canopy cracked open followed...

What's the worst bodily function someone's committed in your aeroplane? And when and why? Chundering doesn't count!

TheOddOne
26th Oct 2007, 22:45
What's the worst bodily function someone's committed in your aeroplane? And when and why? Chundering doesn't count!

Many years ago, when I was first learning to fly, we had an instructor with the worst case of halitosis I've ever encountered. I nearly fainted every time he turned to me to speak. Thankfully he didn't last long with us; he finally got the push when he launched with another student into really filthy weather and had to divert to Luton to do an ILS down to about 200'.

TheOddOne

Charlie Foxtrot India
27th Oct 2007, 03:43
My first and only gliding experience was ruined by the instructor having overpowering garlic breath, it was indescribably awful being encased in a tiny capsule with this guy. It put me off gliding for ever.

Worst smelly student was one whose feet were encased in trainers - without socks - on a typical Perth summer day (a balmy 38 degress). My eyes were literally watering and I realised after I should have just cancelled the flight as the smell was unbearable and I was actually holding my breath rather than breathe in this guys stench.

Next worst is our friends from cooler climes who don't realise the need for extra vigilance in personal hygiene in a hot climate...:ooh:

Telling someone they smell is one of the hardest things to do, would be interesting to hear how fellow instructors tactfully suggest a student have a shower/brush their teeth/change their clothes before a lesson?

Sleeve Wing
27th Oct 2007, 09:13
Kit d'Rection KG.
>The same stude - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - and then quite a successful pilot.<

As a CPL instructor, experienced a similar situation back in the dim and distant when practicing UPs under the hood.
Said stude decided best way to recover from "Climbing turn, low power" was to roll underneath !!.............and this in a Cherokee !
.....................suffice it to say that we decided that this was not really the best way to deal with the situation as the 140 didn't roll very well and hence tended to explore the envelope close to Vne. (as well as "consumptive" engine and dubious oil pressure)

Said stude (now retired I believe) ended up as not only TIRE for large organisation but also Chief Pilot ! :ok:

ratyrat
3rd Nov 2007, 11:26
I was flying a VOR/DME app in to wick in foul wx with a full pa31 chietain, when the MD of the paty threw up all over me and the instruments, I had to wipe the sick off with my hands to continue the app,all this with no warning.

Raty:{

Kit d'Rection KG
7th Nov 2007, 20:43
Raty, although I did say that chundering doesn't count, your brief but inspirationally clear account seems to win the day!

;)

toolowtoofast
7th Nov 2007, 20:51
i don't LOL very often, but i did just then!