PDA

View Full Version : Andrewsfield..

sketchy
25th Oct 2007, 09:10
Morning guys and gals,

I'm currently 10 hours into my PPL, however I am getting frustrated with the lack of instructor availability at my present school. I am therefore looking to switch to Andrewsfield and wondered if anyone has had personal experience with the place?

Stampe
25th Oct 2007, 09:37
An excellent school with a superb CFI,great club atmosphere and social side.(I,m nothing to do with them other than as a customer using their CFI to renew my instructor rating and examiner authorisation ) You won,t regret a move from the average flying school.Only downside I can think of is the grass runways suffer a bit if its a wet winter .Wish I lived nearer to the place ,one of my airfields of choice.VBR Stampe

Cuillin
25th Oct 2007, 11:36
More information here

http://www.andrewsfield.com/

I cannot speak highly enough about the place.

Stampe is correct about the runway as it does tend to get a bit soggy December to March but that is being improved upon this winter with extra matting being laid.

Do as many circuits as you wish during your PPL without punitive charges for every landing (like Redhill and others).

'Instructor of the Year' in the shape of CFI Carol Cooper.

sketchy
25th Oct 2007, 13:04
All positve replys? .... must be a first for Pprune!! Thanks for the info. I have phoned them and am going to have a look around on Sunday.

G-EMMA - congrats on the first solo!

Russell Gulch
25th Oct 2007, 13:55
I've not learned to fly there, but have dropped in on numerous occasions, always coming away with one of those warm feelings that you get from going to a welcoming, friendly atmosphere.

TractorBoy
25th Oct 2007, 14:21
I'm looking to rebase from where I am - I dropped in a while back and wasn't impressed. The place was almost deserted. Mind you, it was a Friday.

Cusco
25th Oct 2007, 14:49
I've dropped in either for a coffee or to pick someone up on numerous occasions and have always been impressed by the general friendly 'buzz' of the place.
The girlies on the radio are very pleasant and the (limited)grub is good.
I got talking to a stude who was waiting for his instructor last time I was there and he was pretty enthusiastic.
I should say it's a great place to learn accurate navigation, situated as it is snugged under Stansted's airspace.
Cusco.;);)

JC Ops
25th Oct 2007, 14:55
Very friendly atmosphere. Quiet during the week, makes ideal circuit practise.

JC Ops

smallpilot
25th Oct 2007, 21:39
Haven't flown from there but have flown with one of their instructors at a previous place - Paul S - top bloke, throughly recommended.:D

4Screwaircrew
26th Oct 2007, 10:34
A group of us keep our cub at Andrewsfield, the runway matting seems to be keeping the surface useable through the wet parts of the year.

I've not had any involvment with the instructional staff other than on a social basis; but the whole establishment has a very happy atmosphere. The instructors are lead by a very enthusiastic and experienced CFI, and the aircraft are maintained on site, so defect rectification seems to be swift and efficent.

I wouldn't have a problem recommending them to a friend who wished to learn to fly.

VFR Transit
26th Oct 2007, 10:40
you have a PM

VFR

formationfoto
26th Oct 2007, 12:00
I learnt there about six log books ago and recently returned to do a Class Rating Instructor course. V friendly and well managed.Gets my vote.

Say again s l o w l y
26th Oct 2007, 12:31
Carol is an extremely experienced FI and runs a tight ship.

Where are you flying at the moment if you don't mind me asking. I taught around that area for a few years and keep good links down there. I know Earls Colne have had their best FI move on recently (at last!!!!) and it can be difficult to get good full timers.

sketchy
27th Oct 2007, 12:40
SAS- currently at learning at Stapleford and although it's a good, friendly school, the instructor availability is becoming a big issue. And can see that Andrewsfield is about £25 p/h cheaper!!

VFE
28th Oct 2007, 19:06
My thoughts of Andrewsfield were very positive when I visited.

Clean, good atmosphere (nice looking bar - hic!) and no pomp and ceremony. Carol Cooper is one of the best in the industry, a throroughly wonderful instructor/examiner, she makes you feel at ease and that's half the battle won already. Add to that her overwhelming ability and knowledge and you have a legend right there... and there's not too many of those around these days... and she's still a spring chicken!

Places like Andrewsfield are worth supporting and I do believe they have a fund running for runway drainage work to be carried out so GET DOWN THERE AND LAND!! :)

VFE.

sketchy
28th Oct 2007, 21:45
Had a look around today and was v.impressed. The 152's were immaculate, nothing like the, how can I put this, tatty ones my old school operate. No shirty receptionists and a very good hourly rate. The instructor I will be flying with flies for an airline I believe, so looking forward to learning from his experience. So all in all, a great little package.

Thanks everyone for replying - maybe see some of you at the bar!