PDA

View Full Version : BA Pilot Arrested.Money laundering.

whattimedoweland
23rd Oct 2007, 21:57
Just reported on ITN 1030 PM news,that a BA pilot was one of two people arrested and held for questioning at a North London police station.The other person reported as his brother.
He has been arrested on suspicion of money laundering for the purpose's of funding terrorism!!.

WTDWL.

bonernow
23rd Oct 2007, 21:59
The phrase "innocent until proven guilty" springs to mind before this thread gathers legs!

whattimedoweland
23rd Oct 2007, 22:11
I agree Bonernow,

However it is breaking news and if true has very serious implications for those of us who fly.

Definately innocent until proven guilty.

Like many threads on here they are started from news items or rumours.

WTDWL.

niknak
23rd Oct 2007, 22:52
If true it has very serious implications for those of us who fly.

Why?

If true, it just means a pilot has been found guilty of a very serious criminal offence - no more, no less.

Pilots are no different from anyone else in the eyes of the law and just because every so often one is nailed for breaking the law, it doesn't make them better than any other profession.

Fliegenmong
23rd Oct 2007, 23:05
True NikNak but think of all the potential new inconveniences that could be laden upon us. :hmm: (To keep us alll safer of course:rolleyes:)

Innocent until proven guilty is slowly becoming nothing more that a quaint concept :{

L337
24th Oct 2007, 05:37
especially when people post No smoke without fire.......

Capot
24th Oct 2007, 09:05
if true has very serious implications for those of us who fly.I'm with NikNak; that should read

If true, has serious implications for those of us who commit money laundering offences, whether or not we also fly.Indeed, the words "if true" are superfluous.

Basil
24th Oct 2007, 09:12
Unable to find any online news reference to the arrest.
Any pointers?

mikeyuk
24th Oct 2007, 09:24
Mmmm a Pilot funding terrorism. I'm sure i read a thread recently where pilots thought they were above security checks because they are so squeaky clean :mad: :ugh: Maybe just maybe everyone does need to be security screened.

Hand Solo
24th Oct 2007, 09:34
Meanwhile the story has disappeared and nobody can find any details on it on the news channels or websites. Perhaps it's a big conspiracy mikeyuk, we'll do anything to avoid haing our 'special' status changed.:rolleyes:

d71146
24th Oct 2007, 09:36
I fully agree with you on this matter 'But' and its a very big 'But' should any of this is even remotely true then it in my view and it's only my view then could be a very, very, serious matter indeed.

green granite
24th Oct 2007, 09:43
If this is true, surely it would only affect other pilots if he used his position as a pilot to facilitate the alleged offense.

justinzider
24th Oct 2007, 09:44
I saw the story on the newslast night too but like everyone else can't find anything about it today. Very odd!

Money laundering (if proved) can point to other activities than terrorism though - drugs, organised crime..... It's the channels the money takes that would point to one or the other.

No Country Members
24th Oct 2007, 10:24
No smoke without fire.......anyway if he/she is innocent they can sue for libel and get millions from the Met

Not true. How have the "Met" libelled this pilot?

Pilot was arrested, presumably on the basis of information giving good grounds for arrest. If no good grounds for arrest then a complaint of wrongful arrest would be upheld. But libel? Do me a favour.

whattimedoweland
24th Oct 2007, 10:36
By 'serious implications' I meant the security issues for us all.

Some times it take long enough to get through airports now it could be even longer.

Also the process of gaining your U.S. work Visa could become longer than at present.

I at no time said pilots were any different to other people and yes they as everyone is capable of committing a crime.It is just the serious nature of the crime and potential damage to our industry that makes this different.

WTDWL.

flyingbug
24th Oct 2007, 11:03
Mmmm a Pilot funding terrorism. I'm sure i read a thread recently where pilots thought they were above security checks because they are so squeaky clean :mad: :ugh: Maybe just maybe everyone does need to be security screened.

It was inevitable that a security bod (in this case mikeyuk who works at Manchester Airport) would jump at the opportunity, however slight, to wave his willy around and justify the opportunist pilot screening.

michael.e
24th Oct 2007, 11:23
what could be of interest on this forum is if they were laundering the money by hand carrying the money while on duty. I could get a sizable amount of money in my bag.

On the other side if its just some crimes people are doing in their free time then it only happens they are pilots. In this case if they are a pilot or a chimney sweep is only a colorful detail.

Need more Details, i have know of pilots smuggling computer chips in their bags and getting busted after a flight

Magplug
24th Oct 2007, 11:50
It was inevitable that a security bod (in this case mikeyuk who works at Manchester Airport) would jump at the opportunity, however slight, to wave his willy around and justify the opportunist pilot screening.

Surely not one of the Manchester security people who take so much pleasure in making my working life a frickin' misery? Six random checks in six days? .......It's only a random check Captain... What's yer problem?

Manchester security muppets are about one inch deeper in the Darwinian slime than Traffic Wardens.
mikeyuk - Should have worked a little harder at school pal :ok:

Danny
24th Oct 2007, 12:16
This story has disappeared from the news. Either a false report or else subdued for other reasons. Until there is further information, no point in this thread attracting the barrack room lawyers out of the woodwork.

Besides, unless it has anything to do with the fact that the person was actually involved with their aviation functions then it would just be a story about someone being arrested. The fact that they are a pilot is neither here nor there. Far too many people make posts on here because they immediately assume because the word "pilot" or "aviation" is mentioned then it should be posted here. :rolleyes: