PDA

View Full Version : Parachute on Aircraft

princepilot
23rd Oct 2007, 18:16
Hi,

In the middle of my PPL.

Got a few questions about a particular aircraft.

I have been told that a particular aircraft has a parachute incase of engine failure.

Would it really save you from death in the case of a problem?

If so could it be fitted to different aircrafts? (like the piper warior i am learning in)

How much do they cost?

Matt

UncleNobby
23rd Oct 2007, 19:24
It's on the cirrus and will be on the new sky catcher. I read a story recently of someone who deployed the chute in an emergency on Nantucket and the occupents walked away, plane was a write off though.

Doubt you could install one on a warrior or another craft, plus what if it fails when deployed? Always think as a pilot, cover all the what if's.

You'll do enough sim engine out during your training to be able to land an aircraft without an engine, just remember the ABC's!! :ok:

LH2
23rd Oct 2007, 20:32
You'll do enough sim engine out during your training to be able to land an aircraft without an engine, just remember the ABC's!!

Airway, Breathing, Conciousness?

...where is me coat?

BlueRobin
23rd Oct 2007, 22:45
The argument is that it encourages the "volvo effect" where the safety aspect is used to counter what may be bad decision-making in deciding to
fly.

This might be better answered if on the PPL forum... :\

Adios
23rd Oct 2007, 22:57
The Cirrus is always written off after the parachute is deployed. The system is not certified for reusability as there is no way to know much damage may have been caused to the airframe.

You can't retrofit the parachute to other aircraft. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be a manufacturer sticking my neck on the lawsuit chopping block by selling such an untested, uncertified retrofit kit!