PDA

View Full Version : Pull-back trucks at Paris CDG

XPMorten
23rd Oct 2007, 12:38
Hi,

Was in transit at Paris CDG airport the other day and I observed some unusual
push-back trucks there.

Instead of the normal push-back truck on the nose wheel, they had a very low truck
that came in from the rear and attached to the left MAIN gear. The guy driving it
then jumped out and steered the ting on REMOTE while walking along side the acf.
The truck PULLED instead of pushing.
Later, on the plane (AF A320), I experienced it myself. It made an AWEFULL sound
and most passengers - not knowing - thought something was wrong with the plane.

Obviously, the truck did not have control of the nosewheel steering, so I assume the
pilots have to steer the plane on directions from the guy with the remote.....?

Anyway, anyone know anything more about these trucks and the reason they use them?

Cheers,

M

mmciau
23rd Oct 2007, 12:41
Virgin Blue here in Adelaide, South Australia use the remote Main Gear vehicle

Mike

744rules
23rd Oct 2007, 16:28
It is called a "powerpush" and in use for over 10years now.

Main gear is powered and captain does the steering on instructions of the powerpush-operator.

advantages :
- one man operation (cost saving)
- no different towbars required

XPMorten
23rd Oct 2007, 17:01
ahh.. thanks, found it now :ok:

Also nick named "Robo Tug" it seems;
http://www.schopf-gse.com/products/tractors/powerpush.php
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_pwwi/is_200003/ai_mark06007094

Here's how the Robo-Tug works. While the jet is parked at the gate, an employee manually drives the Robo-Tug behind the aircraft's main landing gear assembly (under the left wing). The unit attaches to the gear where it can turn the wheels of the aircraft by means of four hydrostatically-driven friction rollers. Once the unit is connected, the agent uses a hand-held remote control unit to remotely activate the Robo-Tug and push the aircraft back from the Jetway. When it reaches a predetermined point, the pilot is given a signal via headset, to begin turning the aircraft. After the turn is completed, the employee remotely disengages the Robo-Tug and backs it behind the aircraft, so the aircraft can safely taxi to the runway. Then, the gate agent manually drives the Robo-Tug back to the Jetway and parks it for the next push.

Cheers,

M

BOAC
23rd Oct 2007, 19:51
Been in use at BRU for most of those 10 years.

Rainboe
23rd Oct 2007, 20:37
Was using it there on a 737 back in 96/97. Very clever, but required very careful co-ordination between Captain and operator. Clearance to use it after viewing instruction movie. Frightfully clever, but didn't really seem to catch on in a big way. Powerpush tug provided motive force, Captain steered through tiller.

sabenaboy
26th Oct 2007, 07:29
Later, on the plane (AF A320), I experienced it myself. It made an AWEFULL sound
and most passengers - not knowing - thought something was wrong with the plane.

The sound WAS coming from the A/C, but it's completely normal on an A320. (It sounds like a terminally sick, barking dog)
What you heard was probably the PTU (hydraulic power transfer unit) which comes into action when only one engine is on. During this kind of operation, one engine is started before the push and the second one after the push.
More info here (http://www.airliners.net/discussions/tech_ops/read.main/47041/) (Check out reply 5)

Regards,
Sabenaboy

XPMorten
26th Oct 2007, 18:00
Yeah, thats the one.
The sound could also be described as the
sound you get when trying to start an old car with a
very low battery.

M

NSEU
29th Oct 2007, 04:27
There was an interesting incident in Australia where someone picked up the wrong hand held remote for the tug to be used... Result: Another tug started running about the tarmac, leading to quite a bit of damage. Thank heavens it wasn't the other way around (someone else controlling the airplane being towed). :uhoh: