PDA

View Full Version : Extra 300: Depreciation / Running Costs / etc.

JohnV85
22nd Oct 2007, 14:18
Hello

One option I am considering in the not too distant future is either joining an exisiting syndicate or setting one up with an Extra 300, preferably the two seat low wing variant (although not necessarily key at this stage)

I would be grateful if anyone with relevant experience would be kind enough to give their thoughts on the estimated depreciation and associate running costs you would expect to incur with such an aricraft.

Many thanks in advance.

John

eharding
22nd Oct 2007, 15:57
A rule of thumb that works for a local syndicate is that capital expenditure aside, working on the region of £280-£300 an hour to rent a 300, the break-even point of renting vs. ownership is about 30 hours a year - below this, you're better off renting - although aircraft for hire on an appropriate C of A are few and far between, and minimum experience levels may be required - 500 hours TT isn't unheard of - whereas as a part owner you will be able to negotiate with the insurers directly. I don't have any figures for depreciation handy - you could just try searching for aircraft currently for sale and compare them with the new price. Maintenance costs and fuel burn can be on the eye-watering side compared to something on the PFA register delivering 70-80% of the performance.

Flyingcircusace
22nd Oct 2007, 16:19
Extra 300 costs vary, and the depreciation element is difficult to gauge, it all depends on the age and time on the aircraft you buy and how much you pay for it. Insurance probably about £2000 pa Hangarage £3000 pa Maintenance £5000 pa (for a trouble free year) Fuel at 100L/H aero, 40-50L/H transit. Engine rebuilds can run upto and past £20K and prop overhauls are not cheap
anywhere between £2500-£8000 depending on the amount of work.
The 300 is a great aircraft and if you can afford it then fantastic, but just owning one will not make the next Xavier! It will just beat you up....Trust me.

FC

A and C
22nd Oct 2007, 17:24
Check your PM's. Regards A and C

eharding
22nd Oct 2007, 18:11
It will just beat you up....Trust me.

I seem to remember being able to hear you yodelling away to yourself to try and stay awake last time we took the 300 for a blast - no intercom required, you were audible over the engine, helmet, earplugs and the sound of me laughing at you.....:E

stiknruda
22nd Oct 2007, 18:25
"yodelling away to yourself to try and stay awake last time we took the 300 for a blast "

And that is why you should stick to Curtis' fantastic design Ed, it will never bore you to sleep the way that some of these Teutonic-tupperware creations will!