PDA

View Full Version : 777 starter and TOGA limits

fourgolds
21st Oct 2007, 16:22
Greetings all. Just converting from A330 to 777. Nowhere can I find any starter limits or a TOGA ( normally 10 min) limit. Rolls engines or GE.
Perhaps its my books or I am just getting to old and have missed it.
Is it that we do not need to know as the EEC is looking after the engines?
Just seems funny as every plane I have flown has these written somewhere in a manual as a limitation. Thanks.

Spooky 2
21st Oct 2007, 17:47
Not sure what you are refering to, but as we know the engine will attemt 3 autostarts on the ground before it gives up so that in turn becomes a defacto limitation. Also recall that if an engine flames out in flight the autostart function will run continuously without regard for limits. As far as the TOGA, I'm assuming you mean how long for TO thrust? Some engines are spec'd at 10 minutes and you can buy more time....for more dollars on most engines, maybe another 5 minutes if my memory serves me.

Not sure that I have addressed your question for forgive me if my answers do not apply to the question. You are correct regarding information that Boeing simply feels unworthy of your consideration as they have glossed over a lot of information that was previously sacred on other Boeings as well as other transports in general.

777AV8R
21st Oct 2007, 22:57
I've been on the aircraft 9 years and to my knowledge there is no limit on the starter and none in the books. Maybe the mtce manual has one but there is nothing in the limitations section either. And yes, Autostart will attempt 3 starts and shuts down. If you're still having a problem after a 3 start attempt, then there is something wrong.
Takeoff power is limited to 5 minutes but can be extended by the manufacturer to 10.
Hope it helps.

ernestkgann
22nd Oct 2007, 14:35
In the same company mate. Engines are rated at TOGA for 10 mins. reference is in the RTOW charts I think. No start limits as EEC looks after it as you say. Normal start limit is 700c and 885c inflight. If you bring up eng limits on EICAS you will see normal limit written but not when on lower mfd.
I also answered your q on the TAC a while back. Enjoy the boeing.