PDA

View Full Version : Icao English Proficiency

inducedrag
21st Oct 2007, 11:49
I would like to know if FAA licence holders will also have to go through this test for English proficiency as other ICAO licence holders ?

Hand Solo
21st Oct 2007, 14:21
I find it peculiar that native fluency is rated 5 whereas mere operational proficiency is rated three. That leaves one point between myself and the average Air China pilot.:eek:

Intruder
21st Oct 2007, 20:58
FAR part 61 already requires applicants for a commercial or ATP certificate to "Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language." Does ICAO specify a certain test if certificate holders already meet local requirements?

What ICAO document requires this test?

emboeboneezer
24th Oct 2007, 05:22
All pilots flying internationally, both VFR and IFR, and air traffic controllers working international traffic, regardless of language background, will need a formal assessment of their English language proficiency by March 5th 2008 in order to comply with the international standards set by ICAO.

This 1st edition of Document 9835, 'Manual on the implementation of the langauge proficiency requirements' was published in 2004. It is currently being revised and the 2nd edition will be published towards the end of this year. It is available at www.icao.int (http://www.icao.int).

At the general assembly this September, ICAO was requested by contracting states to begin a system of language test endorsement which will certainly help regulators, ANSPs, operators and individuals select the test which best suits their purposes.

At this time, English language training and testing is a completely unregulated area of activity :ugh: - accreditation is the responsibility of contracting states.

My advice is this - anyone claiming to have 'ICAO compliant' training or testing products is leading you down the garden path; if they tell you a test is 'ICAO accredited', they are telling porkies, and if you do take a test, make sure it is accepted by the regulator that issues your license. Otherwise, you are wasting you time.