PDA

View Full Version : Tropopause High/Low

Kliperoo
20th Oct 2007, 19:26
Hi all,
Im just about to sit the IATRA exam in Canada (Multi-Crew exam) and I have a question about the term Tropopause High (and low).
For the life of me I cannot find a definition anywhere for these, and yet the feature on almost every PROG chart I have ever seen. (They are shown in a box with say 300 L or 510 H)
I have come to tell myself that it must mean the height of the tropopause above the centre of a pressure system, but I would like to know the actual meaning before I go an write this exam.
Please help! Thanks.

airseb
21st Oct 2007, 12:40
can't find a reference, but you're right in saying they're associated with the depression and the high pressure.
but the Low / High trop indications on the weather charts are the local minimum/maximum of said trop in flight level.

hope you find a reference

seb

Kliperoo
21st Oct 2007, 13:28
Thank you! I hope I can find the ref too, but at least I know Im on the right track now.

otroyo
30th Oct 2007, 14:03
cant find it either

AtoBsafely
31st Oct 2007, 06:07
I checked the Canadian AIM, and it said that Canadian SIGWX progs are issued by the ICAO weather centre in Maryland. Their website had this link for the explanations: http://aviationweather.gov/products/swh/info.php
Your understanding is correct. The tropopause FL is shown at the centre of upper highs and lows.