PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Steel Balls..

grababadger
20th Oct 2007, 15:58
Hey Folk,

Did my second solo today and was very nervous, the ironic thing is that my first solo was brilliant-relaxed as Larry!

Im confused as to why I would be so nervous the second time round.

My instructor is more than happy with my ability.

Has anyone had the same thing?advice would be appreciated.

17thhour
20th Oct 2007, 16:23
How long had it been since your first solo? How many hours ago flying time?

Your instructor would never send you off without being certain you had it in you to get the wheels back on the runway in a safe manner.

If you dont feel comfortable, dont go up...
Im new on here but thats my basic knowledge...

grababadger
20th Oct 2007, 16:30
About 15hrs for first solo, I feel fine when the instructor is with me. Feel fine pre-solo its just when im airbourne thats when the thought of 'on your own' sinks deep with me.

It was my second solo-just wondered whether anybody else was more nervous second time round??

gcolyer
20th Oct 2007, 16:41
Is it possible that you was so keyed up for your first solo that you was to nervous to feel nervous? And now you crossed that barrier you now feel it? Does that make any sense?

17thhour
20th Oct 2007, 17:03
Once you fly more and more you will gain confidence and be fine (as far as nerves are concerned). Just make sure your never too confident.

grababadger
20th Oct 2007, 17:31
No I suppose it does not make any sense!

That is why im asking for advice..

Lister Noble
20th Oct 2007, 17:43
Are you nervouse before the flight or during it?
I am a low hours PPL and found I was slightly tense before most flights,but usually OK once airborne.
I was a bit tense during my QXC and skills tests but imagine that is quite normal.
As someone else said,the instructor would not let you go if he/she thought it was a risk.
Good luck
Lister

Farmer 1
20th Oct 2007, 17:45
If your first solo was "brilliant", perhaps you were worried that your second one might be less so.
It's a very common feeling, Badger. Go for it, mate.

grababadger
20th Oct 2007, 19:41
Go for it I will... 3rd time lucky that I will do more than one take-off solo.

mike172
20th Oct 2007, 21:01
Just out of interest, are you learning at Cambridge?

grababadger
20th Oct 2007, 22:00
No not Cambridge-why?

SlipSlider
20th Oct 2007, 22:05
Has anyone had the same thing?

Yes, me!

1st solo flight (also after 15 hours as it happens): lots of adrenaline, big 'high', not expected, no time to get nervous. Really enjoyed it, very relaxed.

2nd solo flight: no adrenaline, no 'high', expected, plenty of time to get nervous. So I was!

And in my case .... 4th solo flight I got very very close to another aeroplane in the air, and it was my mistake. :(

5th solo was quite a challenge ...... :eek:

But that was 29 years ago, and I had an excellent instructor who helped me quickly move on. Now I subscribe to the theory that a little nervousness is a good thing, it keeps one on one's toes.

Your 2nd solo nerves are certainly not unique, and in my opinion, perfectly natural.

Good luck with the rest of your training, I hope you enjoy it!
Slip

grababadger
20th Oct 2007, 22:18
Cheers Slipslider,

Nice to hear that im not a complete contradiction (i.e 2nd time more nervous). Anyway I shall try again tommorow and post the hopefully good news.

P.S I hope not to slip and slide on my 3rd solo-but may consider singing slip sliding away by Paul Simons.

buckels27
21st Oct 2007, 00:24
Grababadger, I've found the same thing. No time to be too nervous on the first solo but with more time to sit back and think the 'what am i doing up here?' thoughts, there is more space opened for anxiety to come in.

Had my second solo x-country today, in which I made a few errors, got momentarily lost, but got back OK in the end. I was less nervous during that flight because things were happening and I was having to concentrate on navigating and flying. In my first XC, it all went completely fine butI had lots of time to start pondering on the wisdom of being up there in the sky alone. I recall Rod Machado writing about this somewhere.

So I very much recognise your situation; I think there are good reasons why it is probably quite common. But I hope that it will become less of a problem as time goes on.

IceHeli
21st Oct 2007, 01:25
I thought my second solo to be far more difficult compared to my first. Walking to the a/c ALONE, doing the preflight ALONE, instrument check ALONE,... thinking "I'm really doing this, all this responsibility"

The solos that followed where a blast! It is just like everything else, a getting used to.

Stay positive, remain calm...

IFMU
21st Oct 2007, 01:58
Has anyone had the same thing?
I've had this several times in my flying career. I find myself getting nervous about getting nervous. I think the key thing is to realize that it is just a psychological thing to work through, above all else fly the airplane, and relax. Concentrate on the task at hand rather than how you feel. I bet it's more common than you might think. It will likely go away with more time under your belt.

-- IFMU

grababadger
21st Oct 2007, 09:18
Cheers for the advice guys!

Will let you know what happens..

Sleeve Wing
21st Oct 2007, 20:34
Good revealing thread, this.

Not really nerves, I feel. Just a little apprehension at the prospect one might have forgotten something.

Just got back from a solo trip this afternoon. Funny, felt exactly like that.

It may have something to do with the fact that, throughout my career, apart from the very beginning (single-seaters) and now, I have RARELY FLOWN ON MY OWN !

Been in the airlines (for a long time) and then as an instructor (for a long time).

It's nice to have TWO people thinking about the same problem though, isn't it ?

Just the prospect of missing something when we're on our own though.

So, badger et al, it happens to us all.

Just remember to plan thoroughly and then you KNOW you won't have missed much !

Then you can really enjoy your solo time.

CAVOK every day,
Sleeve Wing. :ok:

A2QFI
21st Oct 2007, 21:11
I did my first solo in 1956, at Luton before it had a surfaced runway, so I am well out touch with the structure of the training! May I suggest that your first solo probably consisted of a single t/o,circuit and landing = 5 to 10 minutes? Your subsequent solos may have involved more content, longer flights, getting close being out of sight of the airfield etc? Ie more to be nervous about. Your confidence will grow, just don't let it grow too much! Enjoy your flying!

grababadger
21st Oct 2007, 23:45
No just circuits,which to be honest I find it boring! I like flying but I hate the fact you have to do circuit after circuit!

Maybe im being synical because im not as 'level headed' as I first thought. Im so envious of people that not only have confidence, but also a mindset that allows them to sail through new experiences. I understand that its time/experience etc-but surely an irrational fear is a weakness?

Im sure i'll look back on this and think the words 'silly billy' for being so hard headed over such a normal emotion. :ugh:

Thanks for the words of wisdom though guys, nice to know im not alone//

Mark1234
22nd Oct 2007, 02:01
Another "you're not alone" for you:

When I soloed a glider for the first time I was a bit nervous, but not so much - I'd done about 4 launches that day, and a low cable break practice when the instructor hopped out and says "Right, no heroics, one circuit, nice and conservative".

The following day I soloed again, far more nervous - It was my first flight of the day, hadn't had the settling in with an instructor on board time. Recently did my first SEP solo, nervous as can be about that too - but again I new it was coming. Too much time to think! In my case I settle down once I'm up there.

Oh, and I'm one of those people that most people think 'sails through things'. They just don't get to see what's going on under the mask! :uhoh:

ProfChrisReed
22nd Oct 2007, 10:43
If you fly single-seat aircraft, you can have quite a lot of first solos. Gliders are the most obvious case - I have at least 10 of this kind of first solo, as I'm always keen to fly new types.

My experience is that a first solo on type is a mixture of excitement and apprehension. The more I fly, the more the balance moves towards the excitement side. However, there is always some apprehension, as you have no idea how a single-seat aircraft actually flies until you fly it!

This also works for flights in my own glider, even though I now know it quite well. Some nervousness is important, as I need to be switched on to deal with any emergency which might arise. Too much and I wouldn't fly.

I hope the original poster's nerves reduce to a comfortable level, but never go away completely.

Final 3 Greens
22nd Oct 2007, 11:25
I like flying but I hate the fact you have to do circuit after circuit!

The circuit is where you polish your initial handling skills - lots of level, power setting and trim changes, with a high workload.

Post PPL, I used to love doing 4-5 circuits when the aerodrome was quiet - I learned about flying form those.