View Full Version : NATS or Royal Navy

crb
18th Oct 2007, 20:22
I am really interested in becoming an air traffic controller but am unsure weather to apply to become a civilian controller with NATS or a military controller with the Navy . Can anybody illuminate on what the major differences are between the two.

If I did do the military route how easy is it to transfer over to a civilian controller in the future

CleartoFire
18th Oct 2007, 20:54
crb

Both career paths require hard work and dedication just to get in so research well-this forum will be a good start.
Unfortunately I couldn't say which one would be best for you, but, having had a military flying career and a NATS ATCO job under my considerable belt then I will give you my thoughts on the two.

RN-you will be expected to be a naval officer first and an ATCO second. Expect lots of sea time initially with more land posts coming as you progress in your career. Pay good but as with most military jobs not comparable to the civilian sector. Training and professionalism excellent. The navy will give you the tools to be a well rounded person while giving you exciting challenges and the possibilities of travel.

NATS-Many people join just to control aircraft but the potential for broadening jobs are widespread. Chances are you will stay at your first posting for a considerable period of time but chances to move do exist. Pay and pension excellent (although there is some dissent in the company regarding "banding"). Training and proffessionalism excellent. NATS will also challenge you and the various travel schemes can be quite cheap.

If I was to give you advice I would say apply for both (in case one doesn't work out) but for a young person the military will stand you in great stead for any future career.

Good luck. If you have more specific questions then let me know:ok:

November Charles
18th Oct 2007, 21:50
Back in 93, I applied to the Navy, NATS and Eurocontrol Maastricht. The last of the 3 was the quickest of the mark and so I came over to the continent. The weather, much like the UK is awful, but the job is fantastic.
I don't know too much about the Navy ATC, but we work side by side with German Upper Airspace Military controllers and apart from watching AWACs going round in circles all day and trying to weave their occasional fighter between our plethora of traffic, the job looks extremely boring. Having said that, this is obviously a long way from front line military ATC, and I do miss the traveling that the Navy would have offered.
If you are considering NATS, take a look at Eurocontrol also. We have more than 17 nationalities working together to push more than 5000 flights per day through some of the busiest skies in Europe. The down side, we only have one upper centre, so the chance to move around is limited, but the pay is amazing and you get loads of holiday and cheap flights.
I've been pushing tin for 14 years now and still enjoy every day.
Good luck in whatever you choose...

Pierre Argh
18th Oct 2007, 23:11
Clear to Fire says,RN-you will be expected to be a naval officer first and an ATCO second. Expect lots of sea time initially with more land posts coming as you progress in your career but, assuming he's talking about Officer entry he's a bit off mark there.

A naval ATCO may do a litytle time at sea during basic training, but after Dartmouth, will go to Joint ATC School at RAF Shawbury. Then move to an airfield. More training, then complete a tour (about 2yrs). 2nd tour may or may not be at sea (there aren't that many sea going jobs around?) In a typical officers career they may get two, three if you volunteer, sea jobs max... (You might expect to get short detachments to sea to cover exercises etc, but these will typically be no more than 1 month at a time). Things may change idc when the new Carriers come into service, but for now the sea/shore ratio for ATC is good.

Rating ATC entry (via the AC branch) is different. Most AC work is afloat so they will get quite a bit of time in up to and including PO (and they love it)

CleartoFire
19th Oct 2007, 07:38
I (quite rightly) stand corrected. Unfortunately I was talking about my experiences (as a wafu!) more than 10 years ago so I apologise if I have given people the wrong gen.

However the Navy still provides a challenging and rewarding career for those with the right character and dedication.

Lookatthesky
19th Oct 2007, 07:45
Bloody WAFU's!!
but, having had a military flying career and a NATS ATCO job under my considerable belt then I will give you my thoughts on the two.

Too much flight nutty probably :E :}

CleartoFire
19th Oct 2007, 08:11
Actually more to do with the ACRB after night flying:O. I did use to fly with a short very important officer who used to carry a flask of ravioli with him. Better than bag rats any day.

Oh and living 6 paces from the local pub (at sea) didn't help me none neither.

ATSAWHO
27th Oct 2007, 01:25
Either one you join...you'll get jabbed more than once where the sun don't shine and ordered to smile, or, buy the notion that it is for your own and the organisation's good.

Do you wish to comply?

wizad
28th Oct 2007, 22:43
nats.... my yearly ATCO pay rise is fantastic.

aluminium persuader
29th Oct 2007, 12:35
NATS won't sink.

...will it?

ap:E