PDA

View Full Version : What happens after a mayday / pan

FREDSIMTH
15th Oct 2007, 15:02
What happens If you issue a mayday or pan for say an engine failure.... and make a safe landing. Is there paperwork to fill in etc

foxmoth
15th Oct 2007, 15:51
If there is no Damage or injury and you have not done something like infringe CAS then you do not have to fill in any paperwork though you can file an MOR if you wish.:ok:

gcolyer
15th Oct 2007, 17:14
If you have called a PAN or MAYDAY why would you need to fill out paperwork for penetrating CAS? Surely the emergency call is enough justification to warrant it.

I know I know red tape army going barmy!.

Jambo Jet
15th Oct 2007, 17:18
From my memory....

I sat down in the field of hay, looked up at the sky and thought what a wonderful feeling. My friend said he would never fly again and he would be cancelling his holiday.

I said he will and I was right when a Belgian rescue helicopter picked us up and took us to see a doctor.

I got quite pissed that night.

foxmoth
15th Oct 2007, 19:01
If you have called a PAN or MAYDAY why would you need to fill out paperwork for penetrating CAS?

Not sure if you would actually have to fill in an MOR here, but it would certainly be sensible to - At least then if the investigators come round you are seen to be a conscientious sort and it will help avoid further problems.:hmm:

Nipper2
15th Oct 2007, 19:06
You fix the problem, pace out the field for length, check for hidden ditches, rabbit holes etc and go off on your way. Or at least I did.

Warrior2
15th Oct 2007, 21:20
lol hidden ditches???? are they the ones that jump out in front of ya when your on the take off roll???? :}:}:}:)

Mark 1
15th Oct 2007, 21:25
If you are still in R/T contact, or can get someone to relay for you, then its certainly a good idea to cancel the emergency as appropriate.
It then frees up the station for normal R/T and prevents an unneccesary rescue option.
That worked for me at least.

No follow-up paperwork for a successful forced landing, but expect it to be communicated in various quarters.

Failing that, a phone call to the ATSU concerned would seem sensible.

If there is damage or injuries, it may constitute a notifiable incident.

julian_storey
16th Oct 2007, 21:45
The company I work for organised us a trip to West Drayton yesterday. One of the most interesting bits was meeting the chaps who run the D & D (121.5) service.

Who on here realised that the 121.5 service was operated by the military?

The fellow we met made a point of saying that they are always pleased to have pilots visit them. I would thoroughly recommend this - it was very interesting.

Mariner9
17th Oct 2007, 08:22
though you can file an MOR if you wish…..

Not sure if you would actually have to fill in an MOR here….

An optional Mandatory scheme :rolleyes:;)

(Dont disagree with the answers provided though)

waldopepper42
17th Oct 2007, 10:11
hidden ditches????

It's called a "Ha ha" - a ditch with a wall at the bottom designed to keep animals out/in without being visible looking from ground level along the field.

Could ruin your day during takeoff, I imagine!

Runaway Gun
17th Oct 2007, 12:05
I've seen a couple of people avoid declaring a Pan or Mayday, simply because they fear the unknown repercussions or paperwork. :eek:

Instead, they push on, and wonder why they aren't treated with any priority or urgency.

Stuff that I say, announce it when it's required. It's free, and it might just help you get down safely.

XL319
17th Oct 2007, 19:17
What is classed as a priority? running into bad weather? Engine trouble?

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Oct 2007, 20:03
What is classed as a priority? running into bad weather? Engine trouble?

Yes, if you need help.

(The one time I needed help for bad weather I got serious attention from Luton at the point where I said "er, no, this isn't going to work...", so didn't need to declare, and didn't think of declaring, an emergency.)

aluminium persuader
18th Oct 2007, 09:43
If an a/c calls PAN or MAYDAY, the ATSU it's working (assuming it is working one) will file a CA1261 as a matter of routine. It may therefore look odd to the CAA if the pilot didn't make a report. It's not a finger-pointing exercise though, and the amount of hassle involved mirrors the complexity of whatever caused the emergency in the first place. What results is a very useful tool for identifying & halting unwanted trends, whatever the cause.

As someone else said,; whatever you do please make sure you let the ATSU know you're down safely!

ap:ok:

PS Someone mentioned bad weather. Just for a guide, if an Army Air Corps aircraft runs into inadverdant IMC the pilot will ALWAYS declare a PAN.

Lister Noble
18th Oct 2007, 17:44
Ali persuader,v. good to see you are alive and well!
:D:D:D

aluminium persuader
18th Oct 2007, 22:31
What a splendid chap you are, Lister! Hale & hearty!

As always, per ardua ad chaos!;)

ap:ok: