PDA

View Full Version : Piper Matrix - Whats the point? Discuss!

Cessna 210 Heavy
15th Oct 2007, 11:43
I have just found out that the Saratoga that I fly is being sold, but will be replaced by either another Saratoga or a Malibu (Expensive).

Whilst looking over the web on Sunday afternoon I found out about the new Piper Matrix, basically it’s a Malibu with no pressurisation, so increased usable load and reduced maintenance costs. So we are now looking at this option, but it does beg the question, what’s the point?

If you are able to fly a Malibu, I would expect you're an IR PPL, then pressurisation will not present an issue really. Even without the pressurisation the CAA will still expect you to have a type rating on it, and with Known Ice protection it is nearly the cist of a Malibu anyway!

It just so happens that this aircraft has come on the market when we need it, or I need it. I am PPL soon to be IMC with most of my time in a Saratoga or other turbo complex types and as far I can tell the Matrix is a Saratoga on the the guise of a Malibu!

Saab Dastard
15th Oct 2007, 12:39
I suppose that Piper saw a need for an aircraft in the Malibu class, but for flight profiles not exceeding 10,000 feet! Or whatever the precise altitude limit is for mandatory oxygen.

with Known Ice protection it is nearly the cist of a Malibu anyway!

I don't think that's right - the Mirage costs $1.1m new, while the Matrix with FIKI pack, heated prop & speedbrakes is still almost $300k less.

I'm sure that there are differences in avionics too, and adding them to the Matrix would reduce the difference, but it's still going to be $1/4m cheaper!

And for occasional use above 10,000 feet, 1/4 mil buys a lot of oxygen bottles! ;)

SD

Cessna 210 Heavy
15th Oct 2007, 13:17
You're right about the price. We priced it up with some other Avionics on it too.

gcolyer
15th Oct 2007, 14:11
I suppose that Piper saw a need for an aircraft in the Malibu class, but for flight profiles not exceeding 10,000 feet! Or whatever the precise altitude limit is for mandatory oxygen.

Surely thats what the 6x was meant for.

IO540
15th Oct 2007, 14:37
I am not pressurised but I do look around, and I would not pay a huge amount of money for it. I scrap any flight where IMC is likely above 17k and a 25k ceiling is well worth having, but one can do it with supplementary oxygen - the few times one needs it to get above the weather.

OTOH if you want a slick cruiser where you wife can sit in the back and do her fingernails and makeup ;) then the situation changes completely.

Saab Dastard
15th Oct 2007, 14:42
Up to a point, but the Cherokee 6x is not in the Malibu class for power, speed, range and FIKI.

The quoted figures for the Matrix are misleading, as the speed and range are for 25,000 feet - where it ain't gonna be!

But it is still a step up from the 6x. Whether it is worth that extra $400k or so is debatable!

From the Piper website, about the Mirage:
But, consider yourself warned: you’re going to turn heads.
You’ll never make an understated arrival again.

Some people pay a premium for that, you know! Can't be a "proper" aircraft with fixed gear - SOOO last century! ;)

Cessna 210 Heavy
15th Oct 2007, 15:31
I agree, image is very important

Which is why I drive a Rover :\

IO540
15th Oct 2007, 15:40
Unfortunately, all sales bumph for IFR tourers uses the altitude at which you get optimum range; ~ 10k feet on non-turbo and 25k feet on turbo types. And they omit to mention that the oxygen flow rate at 25k will be awfully high. It is left to the new owner to discover that getting that bottle refilled in Europe is quite a job....

Pressurisation does away with that, at a helluva price.

QDMQDMQDM
15th Oct 2007, 15:45
a 25k ceiling is well worth having, but one can do it with supplementary oxygen - the few times one needs it to get above the weather.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me. What's your time of useful consciousness at 25K and, anyway, what's your O2 saturation even with unpressurised high flow oxygen? Pretty low I expect.

IO540
15th Oct 2007, 17:27
I've been up to nearly 20k and it was 95% - with a cannula.

It's a non issue. Pressure masks are needed only above about 35k.

VORTIME
15th Oct 2007, 21:15
IO540 - how's your head descending through the altitudes? I think I'd be in peices if with the altitude changes ? I don't take too kindly do them recently...

VT

IO540
16th Oct 2007, 21:05
I've never had problems in descent but my young boy did once get ear pains - until I showed him how to clear the tubes by holding his nose etc.

In practice, one can't descend a TB20 at much more than 2000fpm without getting way into the yellow arc, and even that (say 180kt IAS) is OK only in very smooth VMC. No way would I fly in IMC faster than Va (~130kt) and to go that slowly in descent one needs to hang the gear out.

However, I find that -800fpm is usually fine for IFR/airways flying.