PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Abort question

BigBoeing
14th Oct 2007, 19:04
Why is it so dangerous for say a 737 to abort above 80kts when they land so much faster than this and stop very quickly indeed when needed. I know the weight comes into it but does it make that much difference?

zerozero
14th Oct 2007, 19:47
It's all about reaction time.

When you're landing, everything is focused on slowing the plane.

When you're taking off, you're thinking about going.

When something abnormal happens on takeoff, you first need to identify it. Then you need to decide to do something about it. Then you need to physically accomplish it. In the meantime, you're airspeed is increasing and the runway is getting shorter.

As they say, the accident investigators will take two years to decide if the decision you made was appropriate. You only get two seconds.

Good luck!
:ok:

411A
15th Oct 2007, 00:05
High speed aborts with jet transport aircraft on limiting runways are a very risky maneuver...best avoided if at all possible.
Many things can go wrong...and usually do, whereas, flying away to solve a potential problem is often times the better alternative.

However, there are still a few of the..."I'll never take an engine on fire into the air"...crowd around, even after all these years.
This is generally called the "Comet syndrome' and is total unmitigated BS, and is far outdated thinking, oddly enough, just like the Comet.

extreme P
15th Oct 2007, 13:10
I believe the stats are in the order of 75% of the airplanes sitting in the dirt after a reject had two functioning engines available...

See the above post if there are any further questions.

Propellerhead
19th Oct 2007, 21:36
You're also using maximum braking which you (hopefully) won't be using during landing. The brakes get very hot especially at high speed and weights and can cause tyres to melt, brake fires etc which in turn could potentially lead to an evacuation in the worst case.

411A
20th Oct 2007, 01:48
...and almost made it into the realms of success.

'Almost' being an apt description.

Except for its 112VDC starting and non-swept wings, it 'almost' resembles a 707...NOT:ugh::ugh:

Meek
20th Oct 2007, 21:10
Reversers are not included in RTO calcs and certs on a Boeing 737.