PDA

View Full Version : How long before we get...*wishlist*

VORTIME
14th Oct 2007, 17:02
It looks like we're entering an era of great modern aircraft...but how long before...

1) SE Aircraft are quiet enough to avoid using headsets...
i.e. www.quietflight-llc.com

2) Pressurisation in SR22/DA50/C NGP so we don't need oxygen...

3) Synethic Vision in Garmin & Avidyne...
...Chelton hasn't reached the masses...

4) Auto throttle and auto land...
Diamond should have this on the DA42 within 2-3 years...

5) Affordable Airconditioning...currently $25k+

6) Affordable Weather Radar or European Datalink WX

7) Single Engine Known Icing

--

We seem to have gotten so much (Glass, FADEC, Digital AP, Composite, Thielert etc) in the past 5 years that we're nearly at a stage where aircraft are truely practical.

Anyone wish to add to the wishlist?

VT

charliegolf
14th Oct 2007, 17:17
A reliable bearing and distance to Fantasy Island?

In my circumstances, anyhow:sad:

CG

Shunter
14th Oct 2007, 17:32
Of those I think anti-icing, or even de-icing would be the only thing I'd put on my personal wishlist. The others are nice toys, granted, but not things that would make a big difference to where/when I can and cannot fly.

DBisDogOne
15th Oct 2007, 19:49
A competent, forward-thinking and pro-active, pro-GA CAA? :E

davidatter708
15th Oct 2007, 20:55
Come on this is boring the whole point of flying is to have fun not sit at some stupid height watching the controls doing itself. What are you suggesting next autopilots in pitts and unlimited aerobatic so you program your sequence in it and it does it for you.
David

Fuji Abound
15th Oct 2007, 21:17
You dont buy a Caterham to get from A to B.

Most people in Europe dont buy an aircraft to get from A to B.

However, a few do, and far more do in the States. Those in this category want a Mercedes, not a Caterham. They want to get from A to B with the least stress, greatest comfort and safety but on a budget that is way less than required for operating a Citation.

In the States this has driven the pace of development of systems like the G1000, Nexrad, FADEC, etc.

These all contribute to comfort and safety. The pace of these developments will continue and many of those items on your wish list will become available.

However weather will remain the issue in Europe.

You can fill the cockpit with all the kit in the world but the performance of most light twins is marginal when things go wrong and short of pressurisation most light aircraft are not in their comfort zone bouncing around in the weather in Europe for large parts of the year. All the kit in the world does not change this, it just makes it a great deal safer for those pilots who have the skill, but for this reason all the kit in the world will also not make GA a dependable form of transport for the vast majority of owner pilots.

scooter boy
15th Oct 2007, 21:26
1) SE Aircraft are quiet enough to avoid using headsets...
The Bose-X headset is OK for this in my book - even on long trips.

2) Pressurisation in SR22/DA50/C NGP so we don't need oxygen...
Adds to the cost - also they have a pressurisation cycle limit after which time the airframe should not be pressurised. You will also need backup O2 on board even if you are pressurised.

3) Synethic Vision in Garmin & Avidyne...
...Chelton hasn't reached the masses...
On its way as I understand it.

4) Auto throttle and auto land...
Diamond should have this on the DA42 within 2-3 years...
Not sure I want or need this.

5) Affordable Airconditioning...currently $25k+
Not a factor for me 90% of the time, if I was in warmer climes then a must though.

6) Affordable Weather Radar or European Datalink WX
This would be a big help, personally I would put a GDL69 in tomorrow if it were available in Europe.

7) Single Engine Known Icing - Mooney are the only manufacturer to offer an FAA approved TKS system in a piston single. This is why I fly one! ;)

SB

Saab Dastard
16th Oct 2007, 00:45
7) Single Engine Known Icing - Mooney are the only manufacturer to offer an FAA approved TKS system in a piston single.

Apart from the Rockwell Commander 114B and 114TC!

On another thread - Piper Matrix - it is clear that the Malibu range is or can be fitted with kit certified for flight into known icing - albeit a different system (heated windshield, electrically heated propeller, and pneumatic de-icing boots on the wings and tail). But the Mirage and Matrix are SEP.

And there are single engine turboprops certified for FIKI - e.g. Piper Meridian and Pilatus PC-12.

SD

A and C
16th Oct 2007, 07:25
The day job requires me to fly an aircraft with most of the kit that VORTIME wants.

It is nice to have but what makes my job fun (apart from the cabin crew!) is to disconnect the automatics at about 10,000ft and fly the aircraft visualy into airports like Skiathos, Funchal or Chambray.

Hi tech kit is all well and good but most private pilots (and a lot of new airline pilots) should maintain the basic skills.

As to VORTIMES quest for autoland, the maintenance costs would be high and I doubt if most PPL's could keep current enough to be safe.

IO540
16th Oct 2007, 08:16
Much of SB's wishlist is either here, or probably never will be.

Headsets... most of the noise in cruise is prop noise. Can't see this changing.

Synthetic vision - here now - $$$$$$$ but will come down as the NASA 3D map data propagates around the internet ;)

Auto throttle - technically trivial, nobody wants to touch it in GA due to paperwork

Auto land - technically trivial; just software but would need a radar altimeter for the final bit. Paperwork as above.

Aircon - already here but $$$$$$$ for no good reason, and much of the kit used seems to be crap, the sort which would go into a Morris Minor.

KI cert - there are a few SEPs certified for KI; under FAA you need dual alternators etc.

Personally I would like full electric de-ice (like Lancair played with but so far without success), a 25k ceiling, in-flight real time radar uplink (or weather radar), working and reliable aircon.

A and C
16th Oct 2007, 09:36
I,m with IO540 in wanting real time WX radar uplink and a traffic uplink, both are avalable in the USA using a mode S transponder to do the uplink.

It's strange how the European authoritys use safety to justify the high charges that they make and mandate mode S but fail to provide the two most usefull safety inovations that mode S priovides.
The biggest irony is if they did provide WX & traffic info this would improve the take up of mode S.