PDA

View Full Version : A bad day's flying.......?

stiknruda
14th Oct 2007, 16:46
Is there such a thing as a bad day's flying?

This morning I was asked to ferry a large single Piper to a strip about 30 miles away, show the aeroplane to two different prospective buyers and possibly take them flying.

The weather really wasn't v nice: v hazy = legal, safe but not a whole bunch of fun.

One of the prospects (err.. suspects) phoned me at breakfast and told me that he expected me to be on the ground a whole 2 hours before I was due. And a whole two hours before the TAF predicted decent weather.

The other phoned and told me that he had to be away from the field by 13H. I said that the other guy wanted me there asap. Upon hearing that he was not the only person looking at the a/c, he muttered about "Dutch Auctions", told me he wasn't coming out to play, then hung-up.

My enthusiasm to conduct the flight was waning fast!

Eventually the vis improved so I got airborne and wound my way down south. It really wasn't much fun.

I landed, refuelled and waited for the prospects. They arrived, I showed them the aeroplane and they enthusiastically accepted the offer of a flight.

Strapped them in, briefed them and then went to start. The starter motor would not engage. I tried several times before finally accepting defeat. The prospect "stormed-off" accusing me of wasting his time. I phoned the owner, he was unwilling to drive the 80 mile round trip to collect me but would try a contact at the local flying club who might be able to fly down, pick me up and deposit me at my strip.

My enthusiasm had hit empty and I was not best pleased! The engineer then phoned to say that he'd take me back tomorrow morning by car, fix it and I could fly it back!

I could hear an airctaft approaching this very quiet, rural field. It landed and I recognised it. It was a 172 that lives on a strip 2 miles from me. Three guys got out and walked over to where I was.

"Hello Stik, what you doing here?"

"Oh, a/c's gone tech and I'm waiting to see is going to happen.!

"Well, there are only 2 of us going back in the Cessna, if you like we can give you a lift."

"That would be great, why only two of you going back?". My relieft was palpable!!

"Because X has come to collect his Mustang which is in the hangar here. Quick cup of tea and we're off."

So after pushing the P51D out and a swift cuppa, we were heading out to the Cessna and X said, "Stik, do you want a ride in the Mustang?"

I would have been quite delighted at a ride home in the baggage compartment of the Cessna - now I'm offered a ride in a P51.

All I will say is that it was awesome! We looped, rolled and Cubaned on a warm autumn day. First time I've ever been pleased that "my" aircraft has gone sick!!

Stik - lucky boy!

Radar
14th Oct 2007, 16:54
Stik,

As the man sez ......... 'I'll take lucky over good every time.'v :}:}:}

EvilKitty
14th Oct 2007, 16:55
:D

You're a lucky man :ok:

Foxy Loxy
14th Oct 2007, 17:41
Stik, you are one seriously jammy sod! I am so jealous :}

Seriously tho - :D:D:D

Foxy

Shunter
14th Oct 2007, 18:44
Didn't do any aeros, but I did show up to collect my fine steed from its annual down south (read: midlands) today. Weather in Yorkshire was just about passable, but declined to something rather vile as we drove down the M1 past Sheffield.

Sat around with a cuppa for half an hour or so, umming and ahhing, then got saddled up and took off. Viz was terrible and headed into some rather bumpy cloud at not much above 1000ft. Turned Fred (autopilot) on and sat back watching the new digital stuff draw pretty engine temp pictures. Popped out of cloud at FL50 to be greeted by a beautiful, silky-smooth, sunny afternoon. All of a sudden my opinion of the day changed completely. Dialled in a half-decent radio station on the ADF, instructed Fred to take the scenic route, and enjoyed the rays for a good hour until it was time to descend back to reality.

Only thing I was lacking was a little company.

Say again s l o w l y
14th Oct 2007, 20:05
You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky Barsteward!

Clouds, silver linings and all that.

er340790
14th Oct 2007, 20:29
Someone told me years ago that 'you only see the real France when you are lost'. Very true and a similar principle applies to aviation - the funniest things and closest friendships are often forged in relative adversity either following a divert / total change of plan / grounded in the wrong place by WX.

Going back to the first point though, if it feels wrong to fly, it probably is, so DON'T!

As PPLs, we have that luxury......;)

The Flying Pram
14th Oct 2007, 21:55
Did he let you land it???

stiknruda
14th Oct 2007, 22:13
The Mustang in question has no instruments nor controls in the back, so at best I was "freight".

The most uncanny thing was that the climb rate, loop radius are so much larger than I am used to that I had a real problem gauging height. We climbed above the overcast at 3000' and it was super-gorgeous.

Fair made my week, hence the desire to share it with you guys.

Almost as good as my Jaguar trip in Feb.......

Foxy Loxy
14th Oct 2007, 23:05
Oh you tease.....!:= Do go on! ;)

sternone
15th Oct 2007, 07:36
All I will say is that it was awesome! We looped, rolled and Cubaned on a warm autumn day. First time I've ever been pleased that "my" aircraft has gone sick!!

Well, seems to me you diserved it!!! What a unfriendly bastards these guys were, if it was for me i would told them to p!ss off and come back when they had manners!!!

ARLG
15th Oct 2007, 08:09
What a great story... didnt expect that! I guess you didnt either!

futurshox
15th Oct 2007, 18:53
Awesome! :ok:

DBisDogOne
15th Oct 2007, 19:30
Outragous...........

In your mental filing cabinet, this one is to be filed under the heading of:

The day I had the last laugh!

As sternone says: your 'customers' - F**k 'em.

davidatter708
15th Oct 2007, 20:49
You can only brag if you offer flights in your pitts :}. Lucky person. I wish I had contacts and was a "kid" in aviation.
David

stiknruda
16th Oct 2007, 13:12
David,

I certainly wasn't bragging - just sharing my very good fortune with the rest of you.

As for offering flights in my Pitts.... well, I've just looked at my logbook and have only gone back 5 years to Oct02: I've had the front seat occupied on no less than 180 occasions and admittedly some names are present frequently; theKentishfledgling, Justiciar, "my wife" but there are just under 65 names in there and I've not taken a penny.

Shame for you that I don't frequent EGBG as much as I used to!

Lister Noble
16th Oct 2007, 17:49
Stik,
I am one of those names and thank you profusely.
It was quite an "eye opener", as I only had a few hours as a student but thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lister
:)

SkyHawk-N
16th Oct 2007, 18:13
I've had the front seat occupied on no less than 180 occasions

I know who occupied it on two occasions! :E

Mad Girl
16th Oct 2007, 18:30
stiknruda
As for offering flights in my Pitts.... well, I've just looked at my logbook and have only gone back 5 years to Oct02: I've had the front seat occupied on no less than 180 occasions and admittedly some names are present frequently; theKentishfledgling, Justiciar, "my wife" but there are just under 65 names in there and I've not taken a penny.

Shame for you that I don't frequent EGBG as much as I used to!

And, I wish........ he came to OS sometimes :{:{

AfricanEagle
16th Oct 2007, 18:49
As to your fortune .......... no comment
:*:\:suspect::eek::bored::confused::uhoh:
The only time they offered me a back seat in a Mustang was on a planned ferry flight they wanted me to pay for the whole flight :ugh:
Glad you shared :)

Legalapproach
16th Oct 2007, 19:51
Stik

You need to get to 200. As it happens I'm free tomorrow.

:ok:

davidatter708
16th Oct 2007, 21:03
Sorry stik I didnt mean bragging I ment your bloody good luck.