PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada new hire expectations

settogathrust
12th Oct 2007, 19:01
Hey there. I tried a search but couldn't find anything. I was hoping some people could get me some thoughts on being a new hire at Air Canada.
What aircraft and posistion should I expect? What base? How long to get to Vancouver? QOL expectations? Any other points of interest.

Thanks a bunch.

meaw
12th Oct 2007, 19:41
As a new-hire you will most likely get EMJ FO in YYZ,YVR or YUL.
Quite a few new-hires will go RP 777 in YVR and YYZ as well as B767 RP in YYZ.
How long to get to YVR?Again a few new-hires go straight there on the EMJ or RP.
Quality of life...again depends what you bid for.Some new hires bid left seat EMJ after 6 months and are junior reserve.(but get much more money.)Some guys prefer seniority and are senior blockholders on the EMJ after a year working mostly turns and home most nights.
Depends what you want but most guys are very happy because they have lots of options on what to do once in the airline.

Auroradude
13th Oct 2007, 02:10
Been here about a year...,and having gone thru two equipment bids, here's how it works. The EMJ FO position is the junior seat, with the least pay. Therefore, most bid off...leaving 100+ of these seats (in YYZ & YUL) for the newhires after each bid.

If you are coming here to get a basing out of YVR, then you will probably be disappointed, or will have to get used to the commuting gig. I too am from Vancouver and quickly realized that 90% of the newhires go on the EMJ (or A320 for awhile) in YYZ. Hence, I am now happily living in a very nice community north of Toronto.;)

meaw
13th Oct 2007, 13:07
Ktommy80,

Positions are awarded strictly by seniority and the 340 FO position is quite senior...about 9 years seniority so unfortunately you cannot expect to get that and it has never happened before.(although 340 Relief pilot was possible as a new-hire before.)
Direct entry 320 FO is possible and would be Toronto based.

MEAW

Auroradude
13th Oct 2007, 20:50
Meaw,

Just checked the bid from last July: 183 EMJ F/O positions available in YYZ, and 8 A320 positions available in YYZ. Me thinks those 8 slots are long gone. Also, all of the newhires in the past couple of months have all gone EMJ F/O in YYZ and YUL...., and the only folks getting YVR slots are transfers.

Auroradude
13th Oct 2007, 21:02
...don't get me wrong. I love flying the EMJ, and I really enjoy being an Air Canada employee. However, a few of my friends have recently come here thinking that they would get a YVR or YWG basing, but quickly realized that virtually all newhires get a YYZ or YUL basing.

settogathrust
16th Oct 2007, 00:48
Anybody have junior person hire dates for each piece of equipment in Vancouver. ie: EMJ FO, 767 RP, 777RP, 340RP.

Thanks for your time.

dash8pilotCanada
21st Oct 2007, 11:15
man this site is depressing me.. I always thought YUL was one of the hardest basings to get for a new hire, now everyone tells me it and YUL is the easiest. Yah im from montreal and dont like toronto.. Ive been applying to air canada and they never answer. Got 3000TT, some jet and some turboprop but no internview...

meaw
21st Oct 2007, 16:42
YUL is not one of the hardest basings to get because only the francophone new-hires want it and AC doesn't hire that many of them....Maybe 1 or 2 on each course unfortunately.
Moving up the ladder here is the hard part because the base never grows so you depend on retirements and guys getting fed-up and going to YYZ.

bzh
21st Oct 2007, 20:58
5 francophone in the last course they all got Montreal, no more spot in Montreal, at least until the next bid... it's all YYZ for now.

settogathrust
3rd Nov 2007, 04:27
Anyone on the hire dates for RP or ERJ FO slots in YVR?

pilotac
3rd Nov 2007, 16:51
All postings now avaialble to the new hires are yhz

cpdude
3rd Nov 2007, 17:13
All postings now avaialble to the new hires are yhz

???? Split-crow and peddlers pub here I come then!:}

settogathrust
4th Nov 2007, 22:43
HUH???????

saudipc-9
6th Nov 2007, 19:02
Don't forget the Lower Deck!!!:ok:

29chev
6th Nov 2007, 21:37
Pilotac is just goofin around as there is NO pilot base in YHZ :rolleyes:

in YVR the bottom 777 rp was hired late 1999 early 2000
340rp has 13 hired 2005 or later
767 rp 27 hired 2005 or later
and on the emj the last 30 out of 37 F/O's based in YVR are hired 2005 or later(all this off the last bid in June)

29chev

settogathrust
7th Nov 2007, 15:46
Thanks a bunch 29chev!

When you say 2005 or later, do you mean 05,06,07 or 01,02,03,04,05?

Thanks for your time.

29chev
8th Nov 2007, 05:42
2005-2006-2007

settogathrust
8th Nov 2007, 17:21
Appreciate your time. Thanks.

skidoodog
9th Nov 2007, 14:42
Just finished haunting the hallowed halls of the Toronto trainning center.

Looks like the current plan is to hire 160 pilots in the next 12 months. For what it is worth.

Keep em comming I say......... More fun in the vipers nest. http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/infopop/icons/icon9.gif

Dog,

xtwapilot
9th Nov 2007, 20:50
Someone posted above that most people bid off of the emj fo position for more money, my understanding is that the money is a fixed salary for the first 2 years whether fo or capt. Can some elaborate please? Thanks

Xtwapilot

theduke320
10th Nov 2007, 04:47
I think one comes here to Air Canada with the thinking that any available position is something of an accomplishment. Getting pissed off because all that is open at the present time seems to be EMB and only in YYZ will not make things better in the long run. Come here with an open mind knowing that in your class their will be some great people that will be life long friends.

Keep an open mind to any position ( realistic of course ) might come up. Here is my example: I commute to YYZ from YWG and usually bumped into another commuter from Jazz a CRJ Capt that never seemed to have an interest in coming over, been there like ten years. Then last march I needed the jump and who happens to be sitting in the right seat of the 321 but that former Jazz skipper. I asked him why the change and just turned and said ," new luggage and a new uniform couldn't turn that down".

So there's a guy commuting out of YWG for like ten years and right off the hop slides right in there has about a year left on flat pay then carries 4 years from Jazz for pay ( putting him at six or seven year formula), 4 years for vacation and can buy 4 years pension as well. Pretty sweat deal I must say.

jurassicjockey
10th Nov 2007, 06:20
Flat salary is as follows, 3 years as an RP, 2 years if an FO and 1 year if Capt.

xtwapilot
10th Nov 2007, 15:45
Thanks for the info on the salary situation. So I can get this straight, if hired as an EMJ Fo and upgrade in say 6 months, then the salary only applies for 6 more months for the Capt. and then what, does the capt jump to the third year payscale? On airlinepilotcentral.com it's showing a salary of 37.5 and 42K respectively for all positions for the first 2 years. Thanks in advance.
Xtwapilot

Dockjock
13th Nov 2007, 15:57
There is a 2nd year pay scale for EMJ captain, airlinepilotcentral.com is just not up to date. I think it is $114/hr.

xtwapilot
13th Nov 2007, 18:44
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

xtwapilot

R. Cramden
22nd Nov 2007, 14:40
Airline Pilot Central says no pension. Is that accurate?
I thought the pension stayed after the bankruptcy.

pilotatlast
23rd Nov 2007, 19:12
Ok whats the EMJ?

meaw
23rd Nov 2007, 20:27
R.Cramden,

That is incorrect.Full pension remains.

JBI
24th Nov 2007, 15:48
EMJ = Embraer 175 & 190

albyyh
26th Nov 2007, 14:18
Will Air Canada offer initial type base on your previous experience?

I have accumulated 4000 F/O hours on B744 with a foreign airline and I just recently obtained my Canadian ATPL through FAA conversion.
If I apply for Air Canada and if it is successful, will the company offer an initial type (say B767 or B777) based on my previous experience?
or must I start with E175/E190 then bid up with seniority?

and just wondering, the term "RP" in Air Canada means "Pilot for long-haul Relief" ? or "Pilot on Reserve Duty" ?
RP takes the same pay scale as regular F/O, or no?

(sorry these may seems like dumb questions.... but I really don't know!)

settogathrust
26th Nov 2007, 14:46
What is the interview like at Air Canada? Anybody have an order of events for the day? Is there a written test, psyc eval, Sim (in what),etc.

Is there an interview prep company that can help with the refinement of my interview skills?

Thanks for your time.

KingAir
27th Nov 2007, 00:20
"Will Air Canada offer initial type base on your previous experience?

I have accumulated 4000 F/O hours on B744 with a foreign airline and I just recently obtained my Canadian ATPL through FAA conversion.
If I apply for Air Canada and if it is successful, will the company offer an initial type (say B767 or B777) based on my previous experience?
or must I start with E175/E190 then bid up with seniority?

and just wondering, the term "RP" in Air Canada means "Pilot for long-haul Relief" ? or "Pilot on Reserve Duty" ?
RP takes the same pay scale as regular F/O, or no?"

albyyh,
AC will put you where they need you at the time. Once you start with AC any of your past experience is not considered. Seniority is everything at an airline like Air Canada. Bid ups is by seniority. You may start EMJ FO or you can get A320 FO (unlikely but depending on what is on the next equipment bid), B767 or B777 RP depending on the need at the time but plan on EMJ FO.

KA

Btw, RP=relief pilot.

albyyh
27th Nov 2007, 05:59
to KingAir,

Thank you very much for the info! I shall put your advice into my considerations! thanks again...

helios737
28th Nov 2007, 05:03
Hi there,

Pilot career centre has a great Air Canada interview prep with over 90% of their applicants getting hired with AC.

Check it out.

http://www.pilotcareercentre.com

settogathrust
28th Nov 2007, 18:36
Thanks, I'll look into it.