PDA

View Full Version : Any update on the PPL/IR 'Lite'?

Cessna 210 Heavy
12th Oct 2007, 18:26
Hi all, is there any update on this? I cant find the orignal thread now :(

I am just about to sit my IMC and go to skill test, but there is a chance that I may be able to fly a PA-46 in a few months. The PA-46 is not the sort of plane that you fly around VFR or outside CAS, or maybe it is?

I dont think I could every justify the time and the expense of sitting the full IR course, but a 'lite' version would be just what I am after, I have no intention of getting my CPL.

If anyone has any news that would be great,

julian_storey
12th Oct 2007, 20:55
The Malibu is a pretty serious aeroplane. Fast, pressurised and well suited to flying airways.

Without a full IR you'll not be able to get the most out of an aeroplane like that. All an IMC rating will enable you to do is fly it outside controlled airspace when the weather is not so good.

If your Malibu is on the 'G' register you'll need a type rating. If it's on the 'N' register you don't - you just need you ASEL (Airplane Single Engine Land) class rating and a high performance endorsement from an instructor.

Fuji Abound
12th Oct 2007, 21:12
The Malibu is a pretty serious aeroplane. Fast, pressurised and well suited to flying airways.

True.

However 180 knots cruise is only the equivalent of a decent twin with plenty of opportunities to use the performance outside class A if need be.

Cessna 210 Heavy
12th Oct 2007, 21:33
At the moment I am in a 2004 Saratoga, 160knts.

Speed isnt really the issue, setting most out of the new plane is.

julian_storey
12th Oct 2007, 21:39
If you're lucky enough to be able to BUY a Malibu, then put it on the 'N' reg and get an FAA IR.

Once you can get up into the airways a pressurised aircraft like a Malibu will come into its own.

Cessna 210 Heavy
12th Oct 2007, 22:34
Its not mine!

Unfortunatly

IO540
13th Oct 2007, 20:08
The operating cost of a Malibu, being under 2000kg, should be substantially lower on long flights around Europe than any piston twin - except a Seneca recertified to 1999kg.

I have no personal experience of this but it is something I keep half an eye on, for the future.

AFAIK no other pressurised plane is below 2000kg - except the Jetprop Malibu conversion...

I agree that without an IR these planes are wasted - in the UK you can fly around at low levels, but you don't need anything fancy for doing that sort of thing.

Crashed&Burned
13th Oct 2007, 21:21
I've done a conversion onto the Malibu and I feel that while it's an interesting piston single, you might be better to spend your money on a twin. The aircraft is too advanced for its power plant.

If you would like the training videos for the FAA IR, PM me and I shall get them to you.

No longer required.

C&B:)

Islander2
13th Oct 2007, 21:29
I've done a conversion onto the Malibu and I feel that while it's an interesting piston single, you might be better to spend your money on a twin. The aircraft is too advanced for its power plant.I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping you will expand on that observation.

FullyFlapped
13th Oct 2007, 22:38
AFAIK no other pressurised plane is below 2000kg - except the Jetprop Malibu conversion...

Umm ... how about the Cessna P210 ?

FF :-)

Red Chilli
14th Oct 2007, 20:38
Back to the original point - it's currently with the EASA licensing folk for consideration. The 'lite' part is really aimed at the exam content (i.e. to be fit for purpose), with the practical part remaining at 50 hours, split into an initial 10hr module followed by a balance of 40hr procedural training (for SEP). There was pressure for an IMC holder to gain credit for the initial 10hr module - not sure if this was put forward as there was some debate re: IMC training standards possibly not resulting in a level playing field. A possible outcome was that an IMC holder would take a flight test and if up to scratch they would receive the 10hrs credit.

Bose X will be along in a minute to give the latest......

julian_storey
14th Oct 2007, 20:44
Does anyone know if there is a plan to offer any reduction to holders of non JAA, ICAO Instrument Ratings?

IO540
14th Oct 2007, 20:51
Currently, if you hold say an FAA IR then you can do the JAA IR just by taking the flight test, plus all the written exams.

In the UK, the CAA additionally requires a min of 15hrs of flight training, but this is not JAA-wide.

Obviously, the written exams is the "little catch" :)

julian_storey
14th Oct 2007, 20:59
I didn't realise that the 15 hours of 'training' was a UK only requirement? If you're right (and I'm sure that you probably are!) this could be excellent news.

Does that mean we could go to say Ireland (no language issues!) with our FAA IRs and get JAA IRs just by taking (and obviously passing!) the flight test (assuming the JAA exams were passed)?

I have an FAA IR not because I couldn't pass the JAA IR exams but because I just can't afford the insane cost of a full IR course here.

IO540
14th Oct 2007, 21:06
The only country about which I have personally heard this confirmed is Switzerland.

But it wouldn't take long to check it - just phone up the local CAAs, or a big IR training establishment.

The JAA IR flying is different to FAA. Not harder nor easier, but the examiners look for different things. You could be a great pilot and would still fail the checkride if you have not flown with an instructor who can tell you what the examiner is looking for. So, some flying is sure to be unavoidable. Preferably with an instructor who knows the examiner!