PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Katana DV20 for PPL-training

Asrian
10th Oct 2007, 22:17
Hi,
I already read several threads about the Cessna vs. Piper debate for PPL-training.
Now I would like to ask how a Diamond Katana (DV-20) can be recommended for basic PPL-training, in comparison with Cessnas and Pipers ?

Lets imagine all three planes would cost the same to fly...which one would You choose for PPL-training? DV 20, Cessna or Piper ?
Is there any significant difference (regarding flight characteristics) that would make it better or worse for basic training?

Thank You!

sternone
11th Oct 2007, 05:14
The good thing that it is spin certified, if you train in the Katana, do spin training!!!

The bad thing is that it's to easy to fly to be a good trainer.....

So in my opinion, if you are chasing an Airbus or Boeing rating, start with the Katana, if you are doing it for pleasure or GA... don't !! go for Cessna 152!!

julian_storey
12th Oct 2007, 20:59
The Katana is a great little aeroplane.

Papa Charlie
13th Oct 2007, 12:43
Overall a great plane in which to learn!
In my opinion....
For:
Great forward visibility which gives confidence - especially when flaring / landing.
Being able to see above you as well as around you is a good safety point.
Very responsive yet docile when stalling.
Looks good on the outside with a modern interior (ie not like a 1960s Piper/Cessna!)
You feel as if the plane is strapped to you unlike sitting in /on a PA28,C152 etc. You feel more in control.
It has a stick not a yoke (a "real" plane!)
Against:
Cosy if you and/or your instructor is "over size". But that's the same as in a C152.
Because of the stick you can't easily spread your map/plog etc across your knees.
Nose wheel is a little weak and if you fly on grass runways you need to keep the stick right back after touch down to keep the weight off of it.
Although the canopy provides excellent visibility - it can get quite hot inside on sunny days.
:)

Asrian
14th Oct 2007, 01:12
Thank You for Your reply!
I don't have anything against old airplanes, I like them. Would love to do my PPL on a Piper Cub or Boeing Stearman. :)
Or at least on a "classic" standard plane used for training. The Katana just looks too plastic and too futuristic to me... :)
Already did a trial lesson in both the C152 and Katana. I'm a tall guy, so both are quite small for me.
But in the end, its a question of cost. I could get training on a rotax propelled Katana (yes, on a grass strip airfield) for about 50-60% the money it would cost me doing it on a C152. AVGas is just insanely expensive here. So I really don't have a choice...if I want to do a PPL here in my country and not go abroad.

So You think training on a Katana would be too easy? Do You think I probably will get used to some bad habits which are difficult to get rid of later when switching to other aircraft?
I really wonder why only a few pilot schools so far use the Katana for training..operating costs seem to be a *lot* cheaper than the traditional AVGas-burner...

toolowtoofast
14th Oct 2007, 01:47
the 0240's have developed a bit of a history of not responding to throttle after a lengthy glide approach. can't speak for the rotax.

they're a bit hot in sunnier climes, some training establishments are not yet ready to make the jump to full composite (ie no supporting maintennance facilities), and they're not really a short strip machine.

nice for forced landing practice with a 250fpm (or even a flat glide in an updraft!) glide descent though :)

cjhants
14th Oct 2007, 16:46
i trained on both a katana and spamcan PA28. i only moved from the katana as the school originally had 2, but then sent one away, and it became too difficult to book slots.
katana is quite slippery, so you have to learn to control the speed in the approach, which is a good discipline as far as i am concerned. gave me some hours on a wobbly prop, which is also useful in an all round appreciation of GA flying. i liked the trim system, was easy, fast and accurate. Viz was excellent.
my only real gripe was the small switches, too close together, but other than that a very nice trainer.