PDA

View Full Version : The Light Aircraft Market in the UK.

Contacttower
10th Oct 2007, 20:21
Does anyone have any idea roughly how many planes change hands in the UK every month? And how many planes there are on the market? I often look through magazines and see planes for sale and wonder, how long does it usually take to sell a plane (common types like the PA28 series)? I'm just curious to know what the market is like in this country.

The Flying Pram
10th Oct 2007, 22:39
I've just counted almost 200 "changes of ownership" in this months Air Britain News. A few were commercial, but I think you could look at 150 - 200 as being fairly typical.

Contacttower
11th Oct 2007, 16:05
Thanks, so how long do you think it would take to sell a plane?

Sam-MAN
11th Oct 2007, 16:20
I don't think there would be a real answer for that questions. Depends on the price, type, hours, condition etc.

Contacttower
11th Oct 2007, 16:34
I don't think there would be a real answer for that questions. Depends on the price, type, hours, condition etc.

I thought so, but considering a fairly common type, average hours, good condition and slightly below 'market value' price.

wsmempson
11th Oct 2007, 18:35
If your price is competitive enough for a dealer to buy your a/c, then you can sell instantaneously. Otherwise, if you do it yourself, 2-6 months seems pretty typical a timeframe.

Personally, I'd prefer to leave a bit of meat on the deal for a dealer and move on. If you hold out for top dollar for a year, you can spend £3-5k in insurance and parking alone - let alone annuals, 50 hr checks etc. which can easily equate to 10% of the value of the machine.

David Morris at "Justplanetrading" has always been pretty reliable in my experience. Just don't expect silly money....
Good luck selling!:)

IO540
12th Oct 2007, 10:58
Prices paid tend to be 20-30% below those advertised.