PDA

View Full Version : Does the state of licence issue really matter?

.Aero
10th Oct 2007, 18:33
There have been numerous instances where employers have favoured licences issued from certain national aviation authorities over others. Why do you think this is? What happens when you train at a reputable quality FTO based in an ICAO state where that state's national authority is seen as incompetent by the wider world, and more specifically - the west? :\

Should prospective trainee pilots be looking into the state of licence issue alongside what they're looking for in an FTO?

I'd like to hear opinions on the matter.

Hour Builder
10th Oct 2007, 18:50
The idea of JAR should mean there is no difference whether you have a Spainish (for example) or UK issued licence. However, while the qualifications remain the same having had a CPL/IR issued in any state, the simple fact remains, that some NAA's are easier to deal with-with regards to admin and efficiency.

I've heard stories of it taking 3 months to have a type rating added to a non UK JAR licence, and the UK CAA do it as a same day service at no extra cost then a normal service.

(I just paid £600 for a visa for my wife to have it done on the same day instead of 3 months at a cost of £400).

You may pay more at UK CAA etc, but you tend to get a quicker service then most others!

HB

dartagnan
11th Oct 2007, 17:37
the UK CAA took over 5 weeks to issue my A320 type rating.

some people told me it would take 3-4 days only.

LH2
11th Oct 2007, 17:57
There have been numerous instances where employers have favoured licences issued from certain national aviation authorities over others

Care to give specific, well documented examples of this, please? Not that it matters to me personally, mind you :rolleyes:

the UK CAA took over 5 weeks to issue my A320 type rating.

Bah, I know of someone whose Metro type rating had already expired by the time he received it from a certain Iberian country's authority :}

I concur with the statement that the CAA is expensive but fairly efficient. OTOH I don't have experience with any other authorities so I'm not in a position to make comparisons.

Hour Builder
11th Oct 2007, 20:32
I can give examples.

If you are employed by easyjet, it's part of the contract that you convert your licence to a UK issued JAR licence from whichever you already have.

Ryanair do the same and make you convert you Irish.

HB