PDA

View Full Version : AAIB investigate thomsonfly 737

pete2
10th Oct 2007, 15:47
Heard a rumour that the aaib were investigating a serious incident involving a Thomsonfly 737 at Bournemouth. Anyone know anymore?

loopylee
10th Oct 2007, 22:09
was it to do with a tcas incident?

'Chuffer' Dandridge
11th Oct 2007, 17:47
I also heard from a very good & reliable source that the AAIB are involved in investigating an incident to aThompsonfly 737 at Bournemouth.

Sounds like it could be more than just a rumour.. Any more info as to what 'allegedly' happened, allegedly :-)

744FO
11th Oct 2007, 21:54
Does this have anything to do with the blown slide and the ramp guy with almost every bone in his body broken?

loopylee
11th Oct 2007, 22:29
well what u been told is wrong... bruised hip and broken arm.. thats it! he was very lucky

744FO
11th Oct 2007, 22:34
I would'nt say that being subjected to a bruised hip and broken arm due to a crew members mistaken actions was 'lucky'. Next you'll be telling me he thanked him/her for blowing the slide in his face!. :mad:

Avman
12th Oct 2007, 08:19
Anyone with a grain of intelligence would know what loopylee meant. Read it in context.

BOU_PAX
12th Oct 2007, 10:52
Local newspaper report 12th October

http://www.thisisbournemouth.co.uk/display.var.1755451.0.no_fly_zone.php

xavier95
12th Oct 2007, 11:53
I thought the AAIB only investigated serious incidents and accidents. I don't think an accidental slide inflation is that serious.

puddle-jumper2
12th Oct 2007, 12:05
A quote from one of the inconvenienced passengers.

Liz Eley from Hereford had travelled to Bournemouth to fly to Dublin with her friend, who lives near the airport.

She said: "Our flights cost just 1p each way, plus taxes. They weren't such a good bargain after all because now we're going to have to pay for car hire from Shannon to Dublin."

Well for 1p I'd have personally expected a Limo.

What is the world coming to.:ugh:

Shiny side down
12th Oct 2007, 12:15
Xavier
I think the AAIB investigate in any instance where there is any injury caused to personnel in relation to aircraft operation, as well as the more clear reasons why they would get involved.

baps
12th Oct 2007, 12:21
unless pete2 is phsycic I think the inciddent he is talking about is not the slide going of as this happen on the 12th not on or before the 10th

Cheesaburger
12th Oct 2007, 14:00
I know someone who works for the AAIB they confirmed that the aaib are investigating a Thomsonfly aircraft, he wouldn't give me any details, but said that it wasn't the slide going off

Dogma
12th Oct 2007, 14:37
It would not be the Slide going off incident.

Can't understand why the slide inflated, it must have dropped 18+ inches.

That will teach them to get the steps at the right height!;)

I gather the "guy" was not injured.

A Very Civil Pilot
12th Oct 2007, 14:52
The Echo newspaper commenrts need to be read in context. Most of the disgruntled pax seem to be going to Ireland - not a tfly route.

The delays due to weather, all seem to have been lumped onto Tfly for the slide incident

AlexL
12th Oct 2007, 16:16
I thought the AAIB only investigated serious incidents and accidents. I don't think an accidental slide inflation is that serious.

This type of incident, causing injury would be classified as and accident, therefore the AAIB are duty bound to investigate. As with most things in aviation there is a very clear definition of what constituted an incident, a serious incident and an accident.
If you do your ATPL air law you will find that this area is a favorite of the examiners, with a few questions on the subject.
On a different note I'd be interested to know how this happened. Doors opened from outside (if it was) should automatically disarm, and if opened from the inside whilst armed, then the slide should drop out onto the steps, but unless the steps are a good few feet below the sill then the slide shouldn't inflate as it won't drop far enough to pull the lanyard.

Cyclone733
12th Oct 2007, 16:19
Depends on the aircraft type, from memory there is no disarming of the doors when opened from the outside on some older aircraft types

TightSlot
12th Oct 2007, 18:17
737-500/300/8000 aircraft doors are mannually armed (and disarmed) manually by placing the girt bar in the floor retaining clips when doors are closed: Slides are manually disarmed when seatbelt signs are switched off on shutdown. TOM aircraft also have a red strap placed across the door viewport (visible from outside) when ever a door is armed. TOM procedures are for all passenger doors to be opened from inside the aircraft only, following a knock on the door from the agent indicating that the steps are safely in position.

BOU_PAX
12th Oct 2007, 22:48
From the Bournemouth Echo web site

http://www.thisisbournemouth.co.uk/display.var.1757712.0.worker_recovering_after_chute_ordeal.p hp

Glad to hear the worker escaped without suffering serious injury

harrogate
13th Oct 2007, 00:12
Heard a rumour this happened again today with a Thomsonfly at Donny.

Anyone?

yeoman
13th Oct 2007, 12:28
Both 737s
All those brand new IFSs
:E
PM: Blue touch paper
PF: Lit (using strips torn from CRM Manual)
Ensure retiring to safe distance at MMO.

shortcut_approved
13th Oct 2007, 13:32
Actually, the DSA one was a 757. Apparently 3 people had checked the door was in the disarmed position before opening.

yeoman
13th Oct 2007, 15:34
Curses.

Only half a wind up then!

Thanks SC.

baps
14th Oct 2007, 10:46
and the DSA one wasn't in DSA it was in HUY.

JOE-FBS
14th Oct 2007, 13:33
Just been speaking to my Dad who was delayed five hours on Thomsonfly from Magaluf to Finningley on Thursday night when an escape slide was deployed, allegedy by a passenger, on the inbound flight after landing. A relief aircraft from the UK was delayed, allegedly, by the need to eject drunk passengers at Humberside!

Dad tells me that he wasn't impressed by the ground handling of the delayed passengers at Magaluf but apparently the relief flight crew were very good so thanks if any of you are looking at this.

Also, he says the last time he flew from Finningley, it was 1943 and he was an air cadet in the tail turret of a Wellington!

TSR2
14th Oct 2007, 18:27
An airport at Magaluf ???????????

JOE-FBS
14th Oct 2007, 19:58
Sorry, my ignorance, the airport was Palma de Mallorca. He had been to Magaluf.