PDA

View Full Version : 3 month currency

PompeyPaul
10th Oct 2007, 12:41
I remember Air Law saying that you had to perform 3 take offs and landing in the last 3 months to keep your license current.

I've looked through LASORs and I can't see what you have to do to revalidate it if you don't hit this requirement ?

I think I remember it being a case you just couldn't take passengers until you had done that ? With obviously the big license lapse coming from 2 years if you hadn't done 12 take off and landings in the past 12 months with an hour and the instructor.

Whilst I'm on the subject, I'm flying with an instructor again soon and I was wondering how this works.

Do I log it as P1, captain as SELF and the instructor just happens to be a passenger who knows how to fly ? Does having an instructor still constitute me flying as "sole manipulator of the controls" (obviously if I make a horrendous mistake and they have to grab them then no) ?

gcolyer
10th Oct 2007, 12:55
If you dont do the 3 take off and landings within 90 days then like you say you cant take passengers. To sort that out go and bang out 3 circuits.

As for flying with the instructor it all depends on what you are doing. If it is not a training flight you can claim P1 and the instructor claims nothing. The best bet is to agree before the flight who is logging the hours. The key thing is you cannot both claim P1 and if you claim P2 it will have to be as PUT or PICUS. If you claim P1 then you are Captain.

Dude~
10th Oct 2007, 16:58
If it is not a training flight you can claim P1 and the instructor claims nothing. The best bet is to agree before the flight who is logging the hours. The key thing is you cannot both claim P1 and if you claim P2 it will have to be as PUT or PICUS.

If it is not a training flight then what on earth would the instructor be doing there anyway? I can't believe any instructor would go flying and not log it. What's he there for?

gcolyer
10th Oct 2007, 17:48
A club currency check is not a training flight and therefore the person being checked out is perfectly legal to claim P1, however the instructor might not like it and refuse to fly unless they get P1. Thats why I said agree with the instructor before the flight.

dublinpilot
10th Oct 2007, 17:58
PP can't be be P1 and the instructor log nothing if he's outside the 90 currency. That is because the instructor would be a passenger, and PP wouldn't be allowed to carry a passenger, while outside the 90 day currency rule.

dp

gcolyer
10th Oct 2007, 18:02
DP
Good point well picked up.

PP Has not specified why the instructor is flying with him. If it is just for ****s n giggles then PP is best to go and bang out 3 circuits on his own get current and then let the instructor in. That way PP can claim P1.

Lucy Lastic
10th Oct 2007, 18:20
Remember that this is only for carrying passengers.

Most clubs insist on a much tighter set of rules (mine is 28 days) and groups usually have something similar

Depending on your experience and confidence levels, I would suggest you do not even think about exceeding a 90 day period without committing aviation. I wouldn't trust any of my fellow syndicate members at that interval.

PompeyPaul
10th Oct 2007, 19:43
I'm not outside the 90 day rule, but still as a low hours PPL I don't want to push things.. I'd like to take an instructor purely to get feedback because Ive not being flying for 4 weeks.

It's just I noticed that last time I didn't set the pressure setting on the altimeter until I was at departure. Before that was reflex.

So I just want to take an instructor, do a couple of PFLs and then do a few circuits. I could do it on my own, I'm sure, but I just don't take any risks and will never take risks in aviation.

So I guess I angle for P1 and then do my circuits and PFLs as required.

Lucy Lastic
10th Oct 2007, 19:58
Good call.

Too many pilots look at the 90 day rule or club currency rules in the wrong way - they think that they are current up to the limit. One member of my group is like that, and flies just enough to stay clear of checks. But when I fly with him I am horrified at his lack of airmanship.

If you feel out of currency, even though by the LASOR or club rules you are still OK, then there is no shame in using an instructor.

BackPacker
10th Oct 2007, 21:52
If you feel out of currency, even though by the LASOR or club rules you are still OK, then there is no shame in using an instructor.

Just to add - it doesn't have to be an instructor though. As long as you are legally current, you can legally take a passenger - especially if that passenger happens to be a very current pilot.

My club operates several different types of aircraft, with several different engine combinations and to avoid having to be checked out in all different permutations (a quick count brings me to 10 different airframe/engine combinations on a fleet of about 18 aircraft, not counting the multi- and complex ones), there are a few provisions along the lines of "if you are checked out on A and B, you are also automatically checked out on C". Recently I've done my first flights on two of those "C" types. Both times I took an experienced fellow pilot with me. Not an instructor, just a fellow PPL. Works fine and there are plenty of PPLs out there who enjoy getting a free ride as passenger, disbursing some friendly advise along the way about a type they know well.

vancouv
11th Oct 2007, 09:54
I think all points have been addressed, but for my own clarification I think the situation is this:

If you cannot legally make the flight then you have to have an instructor with you who will log P1 and you will be PUT. So in the 90-day rule, if you fly by yourself then that's fine and you get P1, but if you have an instructor with you he must claim P1 as you can't take passengers and therefore you will be PUT.

If you're flying for a club checkout, when you are actually legal, then you could claim P1 and the instructor get nothing. However as has been mentioned, instructors sometimes don't like this, espacially if they're hour building. I have flown with some who aren't, so they are happy to let you have P1 as they don't need the hours. You must make sure you agree this before the flight to avoid arguments later!

And there is no such thing as P2 in a PA28 :ok:

IO540
11th Oct 2007, 10:00
Remember that the instructor himself needs to be night current - unless he holds a valid JAA IR.