PDA

View Full Version : FRTOL - carrying over to new PPL?

rusty sparrow
10th Oct 2007, 09:16
I've recently renewed my PPL, first issued in 1983. With this I have a radio licence that states that " this licence is valid from the same period as the licence the number of which is shown below".

The new licence arrived today - the number on my new licence differs from the original licence - but both of these have lifetime validity. I've last been in command and using RT within the last 10 years so I don't need to meet the requirement B1.6 FRTOL RE-VALIDATION/RENEWAL "The holder of a UK national flight crew licence with lifetime validity, who has not exercised the privileges of the FRTOL for a period exceeding 10 years, will be required to pass the practical Communications test and theoretical written examination in order to reactivate the FRTOL."

The licence itself states under Radio Telephony Privileges,
Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence held.

However, the envelope includes a slip which states "The CAA notes that you have not yet been granted or have not renewed a FRTOL".

Can I ignore that slip? What do I need to do?

BEagle
10th Oct 2007, 09:47
Just send them a letter stating all that you've written here - and some proof that you've been flying in command and using RT within the last 10 years.

They should then send you a new FRTOL. But you may have to argue about payment.

Did you tell them at the time of renewing your licence that you'd been using your RT privileges within the previous 10 years? If not, they can hardly be accused of not knowing....

rusty sparrow
10th Oct 2007, 10:15
Thanks BEagle - I'll get in touch with them - in the euphoria of passing my licence test, I didn't think about telling them that.

However, I'm confused by the licence itself states under Radio Telephony Privileges, Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence held.

rusty sparrow
10th Oct 2007, 12:41
OK - spoke to the CAA and, as I've used the FRTOL within the last 10 years I'm in compliance. :)

BEagle
10th Oct 2007, 20:10
Excellent - good result!

You see, the CAA really do try to help where they can!